Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-04-2016, 08:15   #61

Re: How Often to Bottom Clean the Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Ablative bottom paints are generally not a good choice for boats that stay stationary.

Even in the San Francisco bay area we clean quarterly. In summer the water jumps 0.5 to 1 deg F. Then the water goes murky and the grass grows more rapidly.

We have a diver clean the bottom, an epoxy paint, each quarter. He also changes the maxprop zinc at the same time. The bottom paint isn't eroded by cleaning like an ablative.

In the tropics i would expect to clean the bottom as frequently as monthly based on visible growth.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sounds like pretty much the majority opinion.

Thanks,

G2L

Old 04-04-2016, 08:36   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: How Often to Bottom Clean the Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
In summer the water jumps 0.5 to 1 deg F. Then the water goes murky and the grass grows more rapidly.
My experience is that in parts of the Bay, the water temps swing 20+ winter to summer and that visibility stays pretty good all year long, big rain events notwithstanding.

Where does your boat live?

Old 05-04-2016, 17:25   #63

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: How Often to Hand-Clean the Bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The biocide load in the anti fouling paint on your boat's bottom (and therefore its longevity) is determined by the amount of paint you apply. One coat of paint will provide X amount of biocide that will perform for Y length of time. Two coats will provide 2X of biocide and 2Y length of time. If you do not haul annually (which we don't, on the West Coast), two coats means hauling for paint less frequently.

That said, there is a mil-thickness of paint that is ideal. More than that and you are wasting paint. Anti fouling paint works by allowing water to penetrate the paint surface and leaching out biocide. Once you apply more than the ideal thickness of paint, water cannot penetrate to release biocide and the paint underneath that is useless.
While that sounds right for hard paint it seems like the surface layer of ablative paint would be removed due to friction from the boat moving at a fast speed or due to what ever type of scraping was done during diving the bottom. At that point the more bottom layers of paint would leach out the biocide. My guess is the point of diminishing returns would be reached at some point. I am just not sure why two coats of ablative is that point, why not three or four.

Of course I could be wrong about this.
Old 05-04-2016, 18:01   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am just not sure why two coats of ablative is that point, why not three or four.
I said that there is a point beyond which putting on successive coats of paint is counterproductive. I never said 2 or 3 coats was that point.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:17   #65

Boat: Lots of boats.

Would have to be a boat I plan to keep for a while, but I think I'm going to try a copper paint next time. And I guess I need to do it soon because some states plan to ban it. Want to get under the gun. Although I hear commercial boats won't be part of the ban. Seems a little crazy to me. My daily vitamins have copper.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:59   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Would have to be a boat I plan to keep for a while, but I think I'm going to try a copper paint next time. And I guess I need to do it soon because some states plan to ban it. Want to get under the gun. Although I hear commercial boats won't be part of the ban. Seems a little crazy to me. My daily vitamins have copper.
What forthcoming ban are you referring to? There is no plan to ban copper-based anti fouling paints on a national level and so far, the only state to have enacted one is Washighton (and that one doesn't go into full effect until 2020.) There is so much scuttlebutt about this issue and most of it is wrong.

Quote:
My daily vitamins have copper.
Too much of anything is not good for you. Too much of anything is not good for marine organisms either.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:51   #67

Boat: Lots of boats.

I apologize. The remark about the ban was meant with a little sarcasm. Although I do intend to look into coppercoating my one boat. I don't live in the south now, so have never really had the need to scrape the bottom every few weeks, but if expensive modern bottom paints are only providing a few weeks of protection as people have stated here, I'm not going to feel bad about spending some extra money to buy a paint with a little more protection. Eventually I plan to head south to explore places like the Keys, Bahamas and perhaps Cuba. I'd like to make my time there as trouble free as possible.

In the Chesapeake, if you want to scrape your boat while its in the water, you would have to do it offshore if you want warm water. The water around my marina is both murky and full of sea nettles (stinging jellies) in the summer. Plus there is some risk from electrical fields while docked at local marinas.

From talking to the locals here at the marina, there are some places that will pull your boat and powerwash it for a couple hundred bucks. I'm looking into doing that fairly soon as I don't normally pull the boat for the winter and I have a little growth around the water line including a few barnacles. As others have mentioned, my boat would probably go through the water a little better with a nice clean bottom.
Old 08-04-2016, 13:52   #68
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
That is typical lifespan for properly maintained Trinidad. Nothing "semi hard" about it though. It's as tough and durable as a modified epoxy paint gets.
That's the paint I use and I got a couple more years than that in Charleston, SC. I have a diver service the boat as necessary which can be as often as every three weeks in the summer and every couple months in winter.

All the major paint manufacturers have features on their websites to help a boat owner select the best paint considering the part of the world and boat usage. And of course, most local divers will have recommendations as well. They know what works and what doesn't.
Old 08-04-2016, 13:59   #69
cruiser

Quote:
I wouldn't boat if I had to clean the hull every few weeks. I don't see a lot of growth on my boat in the Chesapeake after about 3 years of sitting in the water. The ice tends to clean it over the winter and I deal with whatever growth accumulates over the summer (not much). I think if I was down south, I would bite the bullet and get the copper-coat. Cleaning hulls is not a job I want to be doing in the murky waters around the marina. Repairing engines, plumbing work and topside cleaning is bad enough. Jumping in the water every few weeks isn't going to happen.
There are people who will clean your boat's hull for you at a surprisingly low cost considering the work, the conditions and the travel time. I wouldn't do what my diver does for what I pay him.

And if you're actually using the boat, a clean hull will save you part of what you are paying the diver in fuel costs. Before I leave on a cruise I have my diver clean the boat's bottom and running gear.
Old 08-04-2016, 14:06   #70
cruiser

Quote:
This may be sound advice in your neck of the woods, but I can tell you from over 21 years hull cleaning experience, that cheaping-out on anti fouling paint will only bite you in the ass out here in California. Any paint you use is going to require in-water hull cleaning but an inferior paint will not only foul worse (and faster) than a high quality product, but will lose effectiveness faster as well. This means increased haulouts for new paint and I guarantee the cost of that will outweigh using a good paint and any amount of hull cleaning.
Yep!

The cost of a haulout is the same regardless of the quality of the paint.

The cost of labor to prepare the surface and apply the paint is the same regardless of the quality of the paint.

I makes good sense to spend the money on the best paint you can buy and also to put at least two coats on while the boat is hauled and the surface is prepared.

Think about it.
Old 08-04-2016, 14:19   #71
cruiser

Quote:
...............In the Chesapeake, if you want to scrape your boat while its in the water, you would have to do it offshore if you want warm water. The water around my marina is both murky and full of sea nettles (stinging jellies) in the summer. Plus there is some risk from electrical fields while docked at local marinas...........
Just another good reason to just pay the man. Our water is cold in the winter, hot in the summer and you can't see two feet down on a good day. I really appreciate my diver.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: