Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-12-2012, 14:48   #76
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: How Often do you Clean the Bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
How is it that ships always seem to have clean bottoms? Are they allowed better paint, or is it because they don't sit in a harbor/marina for 99.9 percent of the time? Or do they hire a squad of divers to scrub?
Our experience in Kuwait with our dive boats and our sailing yacht shows that slower boats foul up faster than power boats. This is largely because we are not allowed to use toxic antifouls any more, since they killed plenty of marine life other than just bottom slime.

Consequently we have to use self polishing anti-foul, which works by taking a bit of the outside layer off the bottom paint, which is most effectively done when a boat moves through the water at speed. On a sailing yacht we don't often build up enough speed for this process to be effective. Therefore we need to jump in with a rag. Or soft brush. Or scraper if we've been a little lazy!

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 15:50   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I've inspected thousands of bottoms from hundreds of harbours (mostly fresh water but some salt too). I've concluded that there are no experts in this matter because every single harbour is biologically different, Some times a given harbour is biologically different from one side to the other. Some paints that work well in one harbour hardly work at all just a few miles away. Its a highly localized issue with highly localized solutions.
My personal favourite for salt water ... VC Offshore.
Frequency ... when it needs it.

Old 03-12-2012, 16:52   #78

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I'm in Grenada and either I or I have a local dive the boat every 6 weeks. The bottom has antifoulant and is clean. I am going on 3 years without pulling the boat on the hard. We use a putty knife on the barnacles and a charcoal grill brush on everything else to keep the growth off. It cost 150EC for the diver, 56 US. I go down generally just to inspect the anode and to take a look.
Old 03-12-2012, 22:04   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
QUOTE:" fstbttms "And you base this statement on what- your extensive experience cleaning boat bottoms in the Bay Area? "

Shall I go on? I've got hundreds more like these."

fstbttms

I'm really tired of your demeaning sarcasm directed towards other members who don't agree with you, and don't understand why the moderators let you get away with it. I base my previous statement on real life experience. Why don't you use my entire quote instead of just bits and pieces? I'll say it again,

We went three months in Alameda water without any bottom scrubbers on new paint applied at KKMI in Sausalito back in 2010... no growth! Didn't scrubb the bottom until after four months.... just to check the anodes. I DON'T BELIEVE YOUR PICTURES!

I'm sure you do have hundreds of pictures to scare you clients into more cleanings.
Generally I form an opinion about someone's honesty based on whether what they are saying agrees with my own observations, and they do agree with Matt's.

My boat is in Alameda and has 2 coats of Pettit Trinidad SR, put on in January. For the first 3 months there was no growth. Whoopee! But now the hull looks pretty dirty in about 2 months. At that stage I can feel quite a fall off in performance, especially motoring, as it happens.

The longest I could go between dives is 4 months, as that's how long the zincs last.

So my extra cost to always sail the boat with good performance is 3 cleans a year (2 months vs. 4 months interval = 6 times vs. 3 times). This cost is approx. $210. I carefully monitor and record all costs, and this represents 2% of my boating costs per year. I may or may not, depending who you believe, make some of this back in extended bottom paint life.

Based on my experience I have no problem believing that 1 month is a good interval in warmer climes.

PS, Matt, this is not an excuse to raise your rates.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:46   #80
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
PS, Matt, this is not an excuse to raise your rates.
Shoot!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:01   #81

Boat: 1994 Hunter 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
QUOTE:" fstbttms "And you base this statement on what- your extensive experience cleaning boat bottoms in the Bay Area? "

Shall I go on? I've got hundreds more like these."

fstbttms

I'm really tired of your demeaning sarcasm directed towards other members who don't agree with you, and don't understand why the moderators let you get away with it. I base my previous statement on real life experience. Why don't you use my entire quote instead of just bits and pieces? I'll say it again,

We went three months in Alameda water without any bottom scrubbers on new paint applied at KKMI in Sausalito back in 2010... no growth! Didn't scrubb the bottom until after four months.... just to check the anodes. I DON'T BELIEVE YOUR PICTURES!

I'm sure you do have hundreds of pictures to scare you clients into more cleanings.
Hold on a sec! I do believe them! As I said earlier, I had my boat bottom painted in May, just before leaving for Cartagena and Panama. By mid-June, after only 12 days in Cartagena sitting in the nasty sewage-laden water of the harbor, my bottom looked almost as bad as some of those pics.

Now in the Pearl Islands, I just yesterday went to check the bottom and where she's moored now, there was only a slight line of algae around the water line. No new hard growth and. The last time I cleaned it was about a month ago, so I can estimate that here, scrubbing once every three months might be fine.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39   #82

Boat: Marine Trader 47

On Oct 15th I had my boat pulled to have the hull (not bottom) painted. I had been staying in Socastee near Myrtle beach for the previous 5 months, fresh water. The bottom had some vegetation growth but no animal growth. I had the bottom cleaned and touched up. Zincs like new. This is to supply a base line as of October 31st.

On November 30th, after traveling to St. Augustine, I had the bottom scrubbed and zincs checked. According to the diver I could have gone another month and the zincs had about two months life left. I will be doing the diving the next time just to see for myself what it looks like.

About November 20th I pulled my Inflatable dinghy out and scrubbed off some rather prolific barnacle growth. The dinghy was in the water all the time the boat was on the hard for painting, a total of 40 days in salt water. I keep the dinghy on the foredeck when I'm not sailing now.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:25   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

All these observations continue to support what everyone seems to agree upon. There is no appropriate uniform schedule for bottom cleaning. Growth varies immensely with location and also with the changes by season in the same location. In addition the varities of marine growth can be those that wipe off with a soft rub or those that require a strong blade. We also all seem to agree that it's best to remove the growth when it's easily removed and like most boat tasks, you can take care of it yourself or hire a professional.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: