Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 17:02   #1

Boat: Catamaran, monohull, pontoon
Send a message via AIM to watermanmax
How NOT to take out your centerboard

entertainment for you at my expense,
Ok....used to work in a boat factory in Norway...so I can do this on my own in the back yard...
Project....take out centerboard and fix the fiberglass bulges...E Z Right.
so how to lift it....watch videos, and use a floor jack and slowly jack it up on each side using many many supports.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

Maybe if the trailer was a little more level....but I didn't think that would matter much (….again....I DIDNT THINK!!!)
yup...raised the hull maybe 7 to 8 inches on each side....got the pin out...and it dropped down a little bit. But not enough....I even moved it aft a few inches.
So now....got the wife watching, sighing, and scared the thing is going to fall on me over and over.
Well then got busy with the other boats for a few weeks now. I was going to put it back down on the trailer...but I don't know how big the centerboard is...and don't know if it will fit back in the pocket!!!!! so I did not want to move it down
Today....GOT A IDEA.....hooked it up to the car...I am going to back it in the water....float it off trailer and the board will just fall out. ...right !
Now that the boat is raised.....I have a 10 foot extension for the hitch.....and I actuall got it to float.....centerboard fell down (told wife to just cut the rope)…...in the end.....tied a retrieval rope to the trailer....and unhooked it YES I threw my trailer into the lake.
finally the boat was free....and after many breaths and a lot of will power...I got the dam thing out...…
Any idea after I fix it.....do I get it back in!!!!!!!!!!!!
watermanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 19:06   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: How NOT to take out your centerboard

What, no pics?!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 20:28   #3

Boat: Catamaran, monohull, pontoon
Send a message via AIM to watermanmax
Re: How NOT to take out your centerboard

Lol … what of....my skinned up knees swimming around the trailer. I might take some of the center board before and after???

I have a backhoe at the shop.....think I may just lift the back end up after I put a bunch of braces under the forward part....and yes I mean lift the back hoe up with a strap to cradle it.
watermanmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard