Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 00:15   #1

How much is the maintenance of this boat?

I would like to know how much would be approximately cost and how often I need to maintain a boat such as this one.

I use it only for 3,4 months per year maybe once or twice per week. The winters here are cold (I live in the Netherlands, i.e. -10 degree).

Ps. Is recommandable to keep the engine in a garage during the winter months?
patrickdiviacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:06   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: How much is the maintenance of this boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdiviacco View Post
I would like to know how much would be approximately cost and how often I need to maintain a boat such as this one.

I use it only for 3,4 months per year maybe once or twice per week. The winters here are cold (I live in the Netherlands, i.e. -10 degree).

Ps. Is recommandable to keep the engine in a garage during the winter months?
Very little (in boat terms!).

Exactly how much will depend on how stored and moored. If dry stored (and moored) then antifouling costs will be neglgible, if moored afloat all year will have to factor in a power wash and antifoul at least once a year, and if no trailor of own possibly a lift out, or at least cost (if any) of using blocks (if any in your locale / your tidal range allows that)......and the cost of all that will depend on whether you DIY or use a boatyard (or a man in van).

The boat itself looks wipe down for general maintenance, excepting any damage you may cause (or others do). Adding a cover would nonetheless be no bad thing, bird poop and stagnant water can stain (if left for months).

Engine wise, an o/b can live on the back 24/7/365 - but out of choice I would bring it into the warm during winter. In any event factoring in a service every year will be money well spent, if DIY you can keep the engine on the boat - if professional will find it is cheaper to deliver the engine to the workshop, indeed often possible for them to store the engine all winter (as allows them to do the service in Spring at their convenience).

Will also need to add in annual Insurance.

And then you have depreciation (the hidden cost!) - obviously more if new than bought s/h.

and if you have a trailer will have to maintain that (DIY or professional also = different cost).....and possibly storage costs for the trailer, if not at home. On which note, Annual Mooring costs will be need to be factored in, will vary depending on whether kept afloat (and where, Marina usually more expensive than simple moorings - in which case you also need to add a dinghy!) or ashore. If at home then storage costs would be free, but will need to add in cost of towing (a tow bar to the vehicle and possibly another vehicle - depending on local weight laws....plus increased wear and tear / maintenance cost for the trailer)....if kept nearby a slip will likely be charged for the storage.......and depending on locale may be charged for use of a slipway to launch.

Likely will need some "safety" equipment, and stuff like flares go out of date every few years - and other stuff can get damaged (or dropped overboard!). Depending on type, Lifejackets can also need servicing.

As you can see, the costs very much depend on how you use (and store) the boat.

Because only you in your locale (and prices vary from place to place) only you can research and add up the costs (albeit they are never exact) - I may have missed stuff of the above list, but should get you in the ballpark.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35

As long as your winter temperature is a constant -10, then it will be fine. Just winterize it properly by draining any water and putting in antifreeze. Check your manual for complete winterizing schedule.

Our boat and motor sits in the cold of Northern Canada where winter is generally -20 to -30... no problem.

The problems develop when the temperature bounces around 0, and goes above and below. That will cause condensation on the outside (and to a certain extent, the inside) of the engine. This can lead to rust, and contamination of fluids (oil, hydraulics, etc.). If you are in that weather, then you need to do a few things. First, in the fall shut down the engine with a fogging oil to coat the inside, then spray the outside of engine with WD40, or similar spray oil. In the spring, change your oil at least, and any other fluids that have resevoirs that are breathable. This includes your gas or deisel fuel if the tank was not 100% full (and had stabilizer added in fall).

The main threat is condensation. As long as the weather stays below zero, you should be fine.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I recommend to folks, who ask the same question, that they should budget 5-10% of the value of the boat. Some years you will use more, some less. It gives them a hard figure to work with and reduces the shock value when something bad happens.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance