Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 02:44   #1

Boat: Nantucket 33
How does expanding foam in a can compare to 2 PAC low pressure foam?

Hi I know this has been discussed before somewhat. However I still have questions and even the tech reps of some of the companies I called don't know their own products.

My question concerns the use of single PAC spray foam in a can. I understand these are all polyurethane closed cell and vary from 70-90%+ closed cell structure depending on brand.

Dulux made Parfix triple expanding foam (higher density) claims its water proof and good for outdoors. The Company tech told me its open cell as are all expanding foam in a can. Which is incorrect.

But can a single PAC product compare to the 2 PAC low pressure systems?

I have a lot of voids in the interior of our sailboat. Plus I would like to re insulate my ice boxes and the simplistic way for me would be to utilize expanding foam (at least in part)

If the spray can stuff works as good as say 2lb double PAC then I would be happy to use it. It will not be subject to constant water but would be in contact with humidity and also dealing with the few pin y of refrigeration (I'm only concerned with how the can compared to the 2 part system).
The cans maybe a bit more expensive but I would be able to just go through one section at a time spreading out the cost and allowing me to spread the project out.

Any insight or first hand experience would be highly valued.

Kind regards

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 02:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: How does expanding foam in a can compare to 2 PAC low pressure foam?

they are a real pain in the arse to get the quantities right,either you put in too much and the stuff goes EVERYWARE,or not enough and you get voids.

at least with a 2 pack you can work out your quantities,and it will rise evenly,then you can add more if nessacary.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 03:00   #3

Thanks. I should point out in order to get to the voids I plan to fill, its likely easier to spray utilizing an extension tube vs pour. Then just work build it with layers slowly. That's just what I think but could be totally wrong.

Old 28-09-2014, 03:02   #4

Oops forgot to say that the can stuff vs 2 PAC system I'm comparing to is the low pressure spray systems.

Old 28-09-2014, 03:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you will need to experiment!

it is about as easy to contain as a soft serve icecream in a cone that is melting fast,and sticks like sh1t to a blanket!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 05:05   #6

I've used the single PAC plenty of times. I just don't know how in reality it compares to the 2pac low pressure systems?

Old 28-09-2014, 07:27   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
Thanks. I should point out in order to get to the voids I plan to fill, its likely easier to spray utilizing an extension tube vs pour. Then just work build it with layers slowly. That's just what I think but could be totally wrong.

You can kind of spray the 2 part by pouring the 2 parts in a beer/coke bottle, shake it up and remove your finger.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 10:31   #8

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

when you say ( voids in the interior ) ? ( NOT ANY ) can of, or commercial insulation foam spray, on / in, expanding foam ARE WATERPROOF ( NOT ANY ARE WATERPROOF ) THEY ALL WILL RETAIN WATER ! I've learned from experimentation. I wanted to ( Boston Whaler ) my sailboat. I don't have time to look up the data again, but here's the 411 . The only true waterproof foam ,is EPA Reg, & is a TYPE of Styrene . very very expensive in the $10,000,00 range for my 24ft ! The only thing close to, true waterproof insulation is OC Pink foundation board 25, it will beat out DAP blue board by 0.00.1% . Imagine my surprise if i would of payed the contractor $800.00 to ( Boston Whaler ) my boat , only too find my boat in a few months siting 2,3,4in below the water line ? The thought of cutting holes in my interior , too digout, scrape out, water logged spray foam insulation. So glad i thought this one thru ! Isn't boating grand ?
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 14:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have friend cruising that are retired aerospace engineers. They tested EVERYTHING. Conclusion was that the pink or blue sheets are really the only reasonably priced solution. Everything else retains some water.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:04   #10

Hi Btreep
Can you ask your friend how the can spray foams compare to the 2pac low pressure DIY systems? And which can product had the best results?

The debate about wether the expanding foam or sheets are better or if expanding foam is the best solution is a debate worth having, but on a different thread.

BTW I have read lots of threads on expanding foam. I gave the scenario of use not for debate but to outline the criteria of use for a product and although I have read many attest to using a can and praised their results others say the opposite. Many have also attested to the 2 pac systems. What I have not run across though is how much or if the product from a can significantly differs from the low pressure 2pac systems.

I am very interested in a healthy debate about what product alternatives are best etc but hoped to just debate the can vs 2pac low pressure system.

I hope this in no way offends anyone as I value everyone's insight.
Cheers

Old 29-09-2014, 18:08   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

What you are asking for is the relative comparison of two products neither of which is designed or sutable for what you want to do with them. You might be able to find some information on how unsuitable each is, but frankly I can't really imagine any of the manufacturers are willing to spend the money to test how bad they are at it.

All I can see is the job to remove all of this stuff in a few years when it's waterlogged.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:16   #12

No I asked what I am asking. How does the can product compare to 2 PAC low pressure product, in real life conditions. Again I am after facts or first hand knowledge from experience. Not an opinion. I am old enough to form my own opinions and have long learned just because someone says it won't work or it impossible often means they just have not figured what change need to be done to make it work proper.
It's not that I have no knowledge and this is the first place I'm looking for an answer. I've been researching various aspects of expanding foam for well over 2 years and this is but one more place to gather information. The latest info I am trying to gather is canned foam vs the low pressure 2 PAC and if there is a canned manufacturer out there that has a comparable product. (Seems finding the info on canned stuff real testing is limited compared to the 2 PAC )
Cheers

Old 29-09-2014, 19:38   #13

My humble apologies if my last post came off arrogant or offended anyone. I have read all this on many other forms and threads. I have also read plenty of the opposite. So I guess I just find it frustrating when the original question is not answered and replaced with a debate
Again I'm. It trying to be a jerk just trying to get a specific answer to my specific question. If nobody here knows that's fine.

Old 29-09-2014, 19:54   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You seriously ask a question here and expect us to not voice our opinions about what you plan to do? ha!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:55   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Mischief,

Like I said, I doubt the data you are looking for exists. My guess is that the stuff in a can is worse than the better two parts, but they are both urethane foams, they both absorb water over time, and they both aren't recommended for damp applications. How much worse one is versus the other I have no idea and I doubt anyone does.

If you need to know make tickets of both and dunk them in water for a year then weigh them at the end.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote