Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 17:28   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
How do you store your tools on the boat?

I have about half of the carrying capacity of my boat allocated for tools. It is a smorgasbord of metric and imperial, old and new, 110 and 12V as well as a collection of spares and old samples. I have been dreaming about building or somewhat retrofitting one of those tool chests that you see mechanics use in garages where weight and space are of little concern but practicality gets in my way.

For the time being I have things categorized as:
- daily tools (favorite drivers, allen wrenches etc) - in soft bag
- going aloft bag (rigging tools) - in soft bag
- other heavy tools (things for the engine, sockets, wrenches, etc..) - in tool bag
- epoxy tools and materials (resin, hardner, tape, mat, filler, syringes, etc) - in a plastic tub
- electrical tools and materials (connector, crimp, multimeter, solder, cable, fuse etc) - soft bag
- painting tools and materials (brush, paint) - soft bag
- adhesives (all tapes and sealents go here) - soft bag
- adrasives (sand paper, wire brushes) - soft bag
- machine screws (by the hundreds) - clear compartment box
- screws (thing that go into wood) - same size compartment box as above
- splicing, sail and canvas repair (needles, thread, zipper, straps etc) - soft bag
- plumbing (hose clamps by the hundreds, valves, connectors, hoses, etc) - clear heavyduty ziplock bag

I store these in cabinets and under settees withthe daily bag being the easiest accessible.

I would live to hear and see how you guys go about storing and organizing.
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 17:46   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: How do you store your tools on the boat?

I have one of those 118 piece tool kits in a plastic case at the ready and everything else is deeper.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 18:57   #3

We probably all have a most frequent bag - I use a rigger's open top canvas tote.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5093.JPG
Views:	757
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	154364

One suggestion is once a year or so empty it entirely into your secondary tool box. Then let usage dictate which tools migrate back into the primary bag.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 19:01   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

My system is pretty simple.

A "convenience" kit in a small plastic bin in an easy to access sliding door locker. It has basic tools for simple day to day tasks. This keeps me from having to dig into the bigger kits for something basic like a screw driver. It contains a small crescent wrech, multi bit screw driver, pliers, cheap calipers (I have a better set for more critical measurments in my other tool boxes), and a basic multimeter.

Two bigger tool boxes which contain most of my tools. One is for standard stuff like wrench and screw driver sets etc. The other has become my catch all tool box for everything that, in my mind at least, does not belong in the first box...saws, pullers, torque wrench, etc...things I dont use as often. Both have organizer bins in the top for screws and other small stuff.

A third smaller tool box for electrical. My good multimeter is in here along with soldering gun, wire stirppers, crimpers, etc. It also has an organizer in the top used for electrical supplies.

All other spares and supplies are in plastic bins by category (engine, water maker, rigging, etc...). All stack nicely in a locker.

Out in the cockpit is the designated "toxic locker" for paints, epoxies, fluids, etc.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 19:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Out in the cockpit is the designated "toxic locker" for paints, epoxies, fluids, etc.

FWIW restaurant supply bus tubs make a good toxic liquid under tray. Significantly more durable than the consumer junk plastic tubs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5094.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	154366
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 19:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I have a storage compartment under one of the steps leading down to my forward cabin.
I made a wooden tool box that fits it exactly. I used a nylon strap as the handle so I could maximize the height of the box. Except for a large hammer and a prop puller, I've got all the usual tools I need in it.
Old 18-08-2017, 20:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

"80%" bag under navsta seat; power tools in dry locker in bags
Mechanical tools in Snap On box in engine room
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:35   #8

Boat: J/42

I like having my tools in organizers - I can reach for the right tool in the dark and tell at a glance if something is missing.
Started out with a pre-made plastic drawer set, but that really didn't stow well anyplace on board and it wasted a lot of space for the amount of tools it held. And replacement tools don't always fit the pre-made nest.
Currently using a series of tool rolls. These are very efficient as far as space, but to get one tool, I have to dig out and open the whole roll. Most jobs end up requiring tools from two or more different rolls. They end up taking over a whole settee.
Next plan is a custom-made tool chest built into a settee back. Winter project. We'll see...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:41   #9

Boat: Freedom 45

a tool bag because they are flexible easier to store and secure
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:42   #10

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I have a workshop that used to be a stateroom. I have a workbench and there is a 5 slide out drawer tool cabinet (Craftsman plastic) built into the front of one side, and under the workbench on the other side the top hinges up exposing a large storage area.

Inside I keep all of the misc specialty sets like compression tester, multitool, electrical repair kit, sail repair kit, plumbing, etc in canvas tool bags purchased at Harbor Freight for about $5.00 ea on sale.

Since all the bags look the same (12 or so) I had some "sailing" business cards printed up with my logo. On the back of the card I use a label maker to define the contents and laminated the card with a $25 luggage tag laminator. The card is attached to the bag handle with the clear lanyard.

This is working out great because I can quickly identify the tool I need and all the misc accessories for each tool are always with the tool.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 11:04   #11

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Riggers open top bag for everyday tools. It goes wherever I work so I don't have run below to get another tool. Hammers and bigger tools have their own draw. Hose clamps, screws, cotterpins, fuses, bulbs, electric connectors, all have their own plastic bins with separators.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 11:22   #12

Riggers bag for the ones I use daily, including a few very common wrenches etc.. Sealed plastic cases for the others, wrenches, sockets etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 11:28   #13
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Every few months I have to go through my "everyday" bag and move tools back to the big tool boa that is stored under a settee in a locker. I don't how they came getting there, but each time I move the socket wrench the phillips screwdriver seems sad.

On the other hand the electrical tools don't seem to like to hang out with the knuckle dragger tools.
Old 19-08-2017, 12:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

I store all my tools in waterproof plastic boxes, the click lock type. I spray them with oil after use. I try to keep everything waterproof. I even have a waterproof laptop. Touchbook cf 30 some tools such as a saw, I cant fit in a box, but even power tools I put in washing powder buckets I have dry sacks too for my clothes. Dampness gets everywhere, things go rusty just with the salt air.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 16:37   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

emergency engine items in a bright pink 3 gallon feed bucket, all else in a toolbox for each of three specialties, mechanical , woodworking, and electrical. still working on the plumbing one.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat