Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 00:16   #46

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: How do I repair this anchor shackle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
there is a reason why this type of shackle has been used,or modified.

my guess is if you look at your bow roller assembly you will find that there is not enough clearance for a conventional shackle to pass without the protruding pin binding on the bow roller assembly.

as jim said replace with a propriatry brand ,ideally with a swivel incorparated,using blind pins,use loctite and for added security use a center punch to lock the threads and pins
Or do as I have done and use the biggest twisted shackle that will fit the chain, in my case 8 mm chain and a 12 mm shackle, no more problems with binding in the roller. Regular shackle enables the mousing of the pin.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:34   #47

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Ya'll are making cutting this WAY too complicated. Hook the anchor to something solid, like a post in the ground, or just leave it in the roller. Sit down & loop the chain around or under your boot, holding it tight with your non-dominant hand. Cut it with a hacksaw using your dominant hand. And if you want to get fancy, first put a notch into the chain with a cold chisel so that the hacksaw blade doesn't jump around.
Same applies with bolt cutters, an angle grinder, etc. Things are a lot easier when you first stabilize it. Been cutting metal for 4 decades, since I was 5, ain't much about it has changed.

If'n it's giving you that much trouble, buy me a plane ticket, & I'll come over & TCB for the price of 2 cold beers.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:45   #48

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Ya'll are making cutting this WAY too complicated. Hook the anchor to something solid, like a post in the ground, or just leave it in the roller. Sit down & loop the chain around or under your boot, holding it tight with your non-dominant hand. Cut it with a hacksaw using your dominant hand. And if you want to get fancy, first put a notch into the chain with a cold chisel so that the hacksaw blade doesn't jump around.
Same applies with bolt cutters, an angle grinder, etc. Things are a lot easier when you first stabilize it. Been cutting metal for 4 decades, since I was 5, ain't much about it has changed.

If'n it's giving you that much trouble, buy me a plane ticket, & I'll come over & TCB for the price of 2 cold beers.

Isn't that what this site is all about? Making things WAY more difficult than they need be

Matt
Old 09-06-2017, 21:38   #49

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Isn't that what this site is all about? Making things WAY more difficult than they need be

Matt
Yes, that, along with people throwing tantrums when we don't cater to their fragile egos. One's which we're "supposed" to know where the boundaries to which same lay via telepathy.
Guess that election in November hasn't yet fixed Political Correctness: SADLY

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor