Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2012, 19:59   #1

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
how do i fit a rudder stock quadrant?

hello - i am trying to retro fit a bronze quadrant to my s/s 1 3/4in stock, it used to have set screws but these seem to have gone a bit oval. key steel seems a good idea but how to retro - mill the groove ?

any ideas welcome

thnx
Capn John
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 20:22   #2

Boat: 34 Irwin
Drill holes larger, retap for new set screws done!
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 15:21   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: how do i fit a rudder stock quadrant?

I'm unclear as to just what you want to remill, but a Dremel tool probably is the solution.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 18:16   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

If you are suggesting cutting a keyway in place of set screws, this is a highly skilled job for a machinist and milling machine.
Old 15-05-2012, 18:50   #5

A key way would be great. You'll need to get a machinist to do it. Does your quadrant have a key slot? Otherwise, If you have plenty of material around the set screw holes drill out and tap one size larger... or drill and move the set screw holes away from the originals!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 19:44   #6

Do you really mean setscrews, in that the quadrant is threaded and the friction of the setscrew against the stock holds it in place? Or do you mean a retaining bolt, in that the quadrant has a hole in it in which a bolt passes through the quadrant and the threads are in the stock?

Setscrews that provide a friction grip have a place in this scenario but used alone they can work loose and the quadrant will spin on the stock just when you are trying to get into that tight slip and the whole world is watching.

To keep the wheel aligned with the rudder depends on the quadrant not moving on the stock. When the quadrant is exactly where you want it, you need to tighten the setscrews, then mark and drill the quadrant and the rudderstock. Drill through the quadrant in to the rudderstock and tap the hole in the stock. I have drilled through the stock and through bolted also if this is simpler to do. Drill one side of the quadrant to a body clearance size for the bolt and thread the other side. Or just drill completely through and put a nut and lock washer on the other side. It is not easy to drill it in place and get everything really spot on with a hand drill but you can get close enough for a through bolt. On this size stock I would use a ¼ inch or 5/16 bolt.

One or two setscrews and one through bolt and it won’t go anywhere, it won’t hurt the rudderstock and it gives you an alignment point when you pull the rudder the next time.

umsaudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 10:13   #7

yeah... that reminds me... seems like my quadrants were split halves.... when bolted to the stock they were real tight.....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 09:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
yeah... that reminds me... seems like my quadrants were split halves.... when bolted to the stock they were real tight.....?
Set screws bad idea. Key or reverse key way to go.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder