Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2016, 08:39   #16

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: How can I remove sticky permanent caulking tape?

3M Adhesive remover at West Marine. I have found this to be the only thing to affect 5200, so it has a good chance of resolving your problem.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 09:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
WD-40 will dissolve adhesives. Not sure if it'll handle your situation, but you probably have a can sitting around, so it won't hurt to try.
WD-40 also good for touching up scratches on a car's surface. Try it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 11:03   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

WD40...works great on duct tape goop...I had the same problem.
Also, break a cheap plastic ruler in half to use as a no-scratch scraper.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 11:33   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rashly assuming the old "tape" was butyl rubber tape, you'd want a butyl rubber solvent. And butyl is designed to be extremely resistant to all solvents! I did find mention of a "liquid" butyl rubber product that uses VM & P Naptha, Toluene, Xylene, Ethyl Benzene as the solvents, so one of those might work. Naptha, by the way, comes in many grades, it is always a blended product. The cheap stuff leaves behind a white film but the more highly refined "VM & P" (varnish makers and painters) grades leave ZERO solvent residue, any graphic arts supply here in the US will sell "Bestine" brand rubber cement thinner, which is one brand of this. I suspect you will need a high-end solvent (xylene, MEK ?) and scrubbing with something like terrycloth that has some "tooth" to pick up the residue, but that freezing or heating and mechanical scraping may be the best way to go. Some of those solvents would eat the hull as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 14:37   #20

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

I second debond good stuff!
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 15:29   #21

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rashly assuming the old "tape" was butyl rubber tape, you'd want a butyl rubber solvent. And butyl is designed to be extremely resistant to all solvents! I did find mention of a "liquid" butyl rubber product that uses VM & P Naptha, Toluene, Xylene, Ethyl Benzene as the solvents, so one of those might work. Naptha, by the way, comes in many grades, it is always a blended product. The cheap stuff leaves behind a white film but the more highly refined "VM & P" (varnish makers and painters) grades leave ZERO solvent residue, any graphic arts supply here in the US will sell "Bestine" brand rubber cement thinner, which is one brand of this. I suspect you will need a high-end solvent (xylene, MEK ?) and scrubbing with something like terrycloth that has some "tooth" to pick up the residue, but that freezing or heating and mechanical scraping may be the best way to go. Some of those solvents would eat the hull as well.
Yes, they'll eat the user too! Full on, unravel your DNA... right through your gloves!
And yes, some of them will do a number on thermoset plastics (composites, & polymers) as well. The other catch is, as mentioned, several of them will leave a residue. One that'll be tough to get off or to bond to.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 15:53   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

My chemist is home.

Whatever it is, it's in the wood, and you are not going to completely remove it.

Don't start with the aromatics (Xylene). Start with alcohol, then gasoline. They both evaporate at low temperatures. If that doesn't work, then try Xylene (an aromatic that dissolves rubbers). Xylene is going to leave a residue, so use small amounts and scrape between tries. When it dries, seal the wood with something like epoxy resin before applying your new glue.

That's the best I can do; I hope it works. At least you'll be proceeding based on the chemistry of the situation.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 16:09   #23

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I know that it would make for a size XXXL job. But to me it makes sense to remove a bit of the wood where the windows are currently set into it, & replace it with a decent thickness of glass. That way in the future you have a more substantial material to glue the window to. One which it'll be easier to get any residues off of.
What's being used to bond them in place, BTW?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 17:05   #24

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thanks again. Window is back in place.
I actually did epoxy coat last night before glueing today.
Used Sika 295uv with activator and after flash off, primer.

Seems all good now.

www.ladyrover.com
Old 18-09-2016, 17:44   #25

have had success with this - 3Mâ„¢ Adhesive Remover 6041 | 3M United States
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 18:34   #26

Boat: Dufour Arpege

My go to adhesive residue remover is Interlux 216. I've used this for many years and it almost always does the trick. Try an obscure area first to make sure it won't destroy any finish.
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 19:18   #27

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

I would just scrape the stuff off with a sharp wood chisel all around.
Some chemicals affect the acrylic and other plastics by creating millions of little crazing onto the plastics. but seems like you got the job done. Hope it came out well and it lasts for you, with no leaks.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 22:15   #28

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

On page 122 of Bruce Bingham's "The Sailor's Sketchbook" he talks about a "Secret Super Solvent that will clean almost anything far better than the heavy duty spray solutions, yet most sailors don't know it exists" ... he keeps the reader guessing by listing numerous things this product will remove for a full page, before he discloses the identity of this miracle cleaner as nothing more simple than ... "Brush Cleaner"
The product I have used via this suggestion by Mr. Bingham is sold under the trade name of "PolyClens" (it may be called something different where you live) and yes, it will clean just about anything you can think of.
As Bruce says, don't confuse it with Paint Thinners, Mineral Spirits, Turpentine or Acetone. The key is, it is water soluble in fresh or salt water ... find a copy of his book if you want to read a full page of what he says it will remove as I just can't type it all here.

Another product I have used with great success is called "Goo Gone". this will remove most adhesives used to apply labels to products. I believe it is a Citrus base cleaner and is harmless and simple to use. I cannot say if it is as good as Polyclens but then they are entirely different products designed for entirely different uses.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 03:27   #29

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Redid al my portholes that had similar goop caulk and slowly carefully used a chisel. Took awhile but no fumes, just need a sharp chisel and a lot of care. And no contamination of underlying surface. F
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 09:18   #30

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
Redid al my portholes that had similar goop caulk and slowly carefully used a chisel. Took awhile but no fumes, just need a sharp chisel and a lot of care. And no contamination of underlying surface. F
Yes, I have done that too using PolyClens for final clean-up of the Gelcoat surface. It really is an excellent cleaner leaving no trace at all of goop on Gelcoat surface. Almost a wipe-on/wipe-off operation. Try it, you'll like it.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote