Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2017, 14:48   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Hot weather layup tips

I'm a New England sailor and know exactly what to do when laying up my boat for the winter. But now I have a new challenge. I just sailed to Bermuda and will leave the boat there for the summer up on a yard safe from hurricanes. I'll launch her again in October and head for the Caribbean.

So she'll be sitting in the hot sun and humid air, unlike a frigid dry winter. I know I'll do these things: use fresh water and flush salt water out of engine, gen set, heads, etc.. Remove all provisions. Remove sails, Bimini, all possible deck stuff, etc. I have one day/night Nicro ventilation fan that will pull 1000 cu ft per hour of air through the boat constantly and seems to do it well. I never have any mold or stink problems during hot spells in the north.

Please share more tips and lessons learned that will have me come back to a trouble free boat ready to launch.

Thanks!

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 15:12   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Hot weather layup tips

You need shade and air flow. If it's going to be more sun than rain, then at least some netting, it really helps. I go with tarps and netting. I still see melted plastic stuff inside the boat sometimes. I've heard it gets to 140 deg inside some boats.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 15:15   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Hot weather layup tips

Put rags in opening like through hulls, boom end, etc to avoid animal nesting.
Wipe down interior to reduce growth on panels. White vinegar can be used for this.
Leave all lockers open to encourage air flow.

Tags
layup, weather