Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 05:19   #136
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Hot water tank construction

Yes the video is coming , I will upload it tomorrow . Thereís a lot to it , the system has quite a few components .

I will start a new thread on the binnacle build as well.

Regards John

Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 10:05   #137

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig
Re: Hot water tank construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Schematic, for those that like such things.
Looks very similar to something i built in the early 80's for making hot water for my off grid home. The design varies tn that my heat fuid heated the larger water tank so reverse to your system but basically the same concept.
My furnace was the sun heating 4 large solar collectors. My temperatures were extremely hot so i needed all copper and my closed looped system used food grade glycol as the solution due to at times minus 40 temps.
My point is that it worked great for a few years but due to the 12 volt photovoltaic pump cycling on and off and the running vibration, eventually the copper in the heat exchanger developed tiny pinholes. I was using a specialty type according pipe and although great for larger surface are to transfer the heat it was too weak and the water
Point is, make sure the copper heat exchanger coil is dureable and not prone to movement as it would be a tough repair after it is all boxed and foamed in place and sitting in that tank.
Good luck.

Raggedglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 14:59   #138
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Thanks for that. Good caution about the copper pipe, thanks. At least the way I am constructing this, the copper heat exchanger coil can be very easily removed. Typhoon took a couple of tries to get that part right so I figured I had better assume Iíll have some trouble too.

And I am not sure that I understand your description of your system. Any chance you could sketch and post your schematic for comparison?
Old 28-04-2019, 16:31   #139

Quote:
Thanks for that. Good caution about the copper pipe, thanks. At least the way I am constructing this, the copper heat exchanger coil can be very easily removed. Typhoon took a couple of tries to get that part right so I figured I had better assume Iíll have some trouble too.

And I am not sure that I understand your description of your system. Any chance you could sketch and post your schematic for comparison?
Sketch and post? Ha ha. I'm fairly computer illiterate mate.
But... On roof, 4 large solar collectors connected in series with cooper pipes, a pressure blowout valve on the last panel ( like a household water tank pressure release blowout valve).
The inlet and outlet from these collectors goes into and out of the house roof inside the attic. The pipes run into and out of a larger copper heat exchanger in a closed loop circulating glycol inside this heat exchanger. The heat exchanger has an inlet and outlet top and bottom which sits beside the water tank and in effect is a mini secondary water tank connect to inlets and oulets on the storage tank where the usual inlet and outlet are by using "t's" therefore the domestic water can still be used through the same storage tank.
I had a 12 volt water pump hooked to a roof solar panel so it only worked when the sun was shining which was the only time it would be heated anyway. It was sweet.
I had to use glycol in the panels because i live in canada and minus 30 or 40 were normal in winter. Water of course would have frozen and busted the whole system.
The glycol through the copper pies even at those very cold temperatures melted my plastic vapour barrier inside the house. Incredibly efficient and hot. You could not hold the 3/4 " copper pipes as they would burn you.
I ran cold water through the water tank from a higher up gravity feed resevoir and of course down from my attic into my house system as i had no on demand electricity. Only had my wind generator, my solar panels and my gas it up generator.
Lived this way for over a decade.
Hope i made sense. I dont know how to do a diagram unless i drew it, took a photo and attached it. Dumb old man.
Good luck.
Old 29-04-2019, 03:26   #140

Great description. But very different operating principle. Typhoonís design eliminated the extra heat exchanger. Have another look at my diagram. It is not exactly right because I forgot to add the colouring for the hot coolant mix at the top of the tank but this one does not use a heat exchanger to introduce the heat into the buffer tank and thatís what sets it apart from the usual designs.
Old 29-04-2019, 18:27   #141

Quote:
Great description. But very different operating principle. Typhoonís design eliminated the extra heat exchanger. Have another look at my diagram. It is not exactly right because I forgot to add the colouring for the hot coolant mix at the top of the tank but this one does not use a heat exchanger to introduce the heat into the buffer tank and thatís what sets it apart from the usual designs.
Yes its almost reversed, but they both use the other to garner heat from the other.
I only wanted to warn you on the actual copper piping used as the exchanger...it is your weak point and went on me. Of course my temps were far higher and perhaps more vibtation.
Regardless, make sure there is little movement there.
All fair winds to you.
Old 29-04-2019, 19:44   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedglory View Post
Yes its almost reversed, but they both use the other to garner heat from the other.
I only wanted to warn you on the actual copper piping used as the exchanger...it is your weak point and went on me. Of course my temps were far higher and perhaps more vibtation.
Regardless, make sure there is little movement there.
All fair winds to you.

Thank you. I will heed your caution.

And I reckon there is likely to be way more vibration and movement in my system than your home system, unless you were living in a particularly active earthquake zone at the time.

Tags
water