Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 18:45   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Hose Clamps

An interesting article on hose clamps. Hose clamp 101 part 1.

Hose Clamp Selection: Part I
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 19:14   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Hose Clamps

When you get a boat and work on it regularly it quickly becomes apparent that not all hose clamps are equal. Finally you will find AWAB hose clamps and thereafter be comfortable in the knowledge that the clamp will last and not rust away or crack.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 19:32   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AWAB LLC
Old 09-08-2011, 19:37   #4

Boat: Celestial 48

"Thread galling is common to all stainless steel fastener applications, it essentially amounts to micro welding as a result of heat generation within the threads as they are being tightened. This is easily prevented by lightly lubricating the threads before clamps are installed (if this hasn’t already been done by the manufacturer). "

I had thought previously that "galling" just meant corrosion, so this was a bit of education for me.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 19:39   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
Thanks for the post.
When I refit I tried to use tbar clamps. Had a bear of a time sizing them right. Wound up with a t bar and traditional stainless as the second on most hoses. I really watched things like scupper hoses that are always open. If your to paranoid you can over torque traditional hose clamps and blow the bindings.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 19:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Been using AWAB's for many years. Never once had a failure and I have a bucket full of failed perforated clamps....

Just one of many failures of perf clamps I've seen...

AWAB vs. Perf:

Oh wait one more:
Old 09-08-2011, 20:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Another advantage of the nonperforated clamps is that they do less damage to soft hoses like silicone hoses.

We've been asked for constant tension hose clamps and recently brought them into stock. I've never used them. Do any of you know the correct way to install them? Do you tighten them until the spring is completely compressed?

Do any of you actually use a torque wrench to tighten hose clamps? How do you judge when your clamp is tight enough?
Old 09-08-2011, 21:02   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh wait one more:
Man, that is ugly. I guess someone said "it'll be good enough" or "it'll do till I can replace it".
Old 10-08-2011, 04:51   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
. . . We've been asked for constant tension hose clamps and recently brought them into stock. I've never used them. Do any of you know the correct way to install them? Do you tighten them until the spring is completely compressed?
Do any of you actually use a torque wrench to tighten hose clamps? How do you judge when your clamp is tight enough?
T-bolts clamps versions that are commonly available to the marine world are like the one shown below from AWAB and others. T-bolts are pretty much for situations where you need "extreme" tightness like exhaust hoses or other hoses that have a very hard wall.
- - I would not recommend the "spring" version for marine use. Springs have a habit of corroding or breaking and you cannot get a good "feel" for how tight the clamp is around the hose. There is a much higher "worry factor" in clamping marine hoses as in if the clamp fails the vessel can sink. Trucks and cars don't have that problem.
- - To use you have to back off the self-locking nut or bolt until it comes completely out of the nut. Then you carefully spread the clamp ring to fit over the hose. Finally re-insert the bolt into the self-locking nut and start to tighten it down.
- - It is advisable to stop and ensure the band of the clamp is indeed laying flat on the hose. It is not uncommon for the whole clamp to be "cocked" or tilted on the hose and this will cut into the hose eventually. Also the t-bolt needs to be sized so that the "tongue" closes the circle. T-bolts have a much smaller range of hose sizes than the normal marine hose clamp.
- - Tightening is a judgement matter based on the hose around which the clamp is tightened. For hard hoses like exhaust you tighten down to it becomes very difficult to tighten anymore for fear of stripping the bolt threads (I call this "two grunt" tight). But care is also needed with exhaust hose "with wire" to keep from cutting the hose by squeezing the wire too much.
- - For soft hoses like blue silicon you have to be very careful as the clamp can squeeze the hose to point where the hose starts to be cut. For blue silicon I do not use T-bolt clamps but instead the standard AWAB "indented" clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AWBGBS120055-lrg.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	30328   Click image for larger version

Name:	sme-240175_w.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	30329  

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 08:19   #10

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
T-bolts clamps versions that are commonly available to the marine world are like the one shown below from AWAB and others. T-bolts are pretty much for situations where you need "extreme" tightness like exhaust hoses or other hoses that have a very hard wall.
- - I would not recommend the "spring" version for marine use. Springs have a habit of corroding or breaking and you cannot get a good "feel" for how tight the clamp is around the hose. There is a much higher "worry factor" in clamping marine hoses as in if the clamp fails the vessel can sink. Trucks and cars don't have that problem.
- - To use you have to back off the self-locking nut or bolt until it comes completely out of the nut. Then you carefully spread the clamp ring to fit over the hose. Finally re-insert the bolt into the self-locking nut and start to tighten it down.
- - It is advisable to stop and ensure the band of the clamp is indeed laying flat on the hose. It is not uncommon for the whole clamp to be "cocked" or tilted on the hose and this will cut into the hose eventually. Also the t-bolt needs to be sized so that the "tongue" closes the circle. T-bolts have a much smaller range of hose sizes than the normal marine hose clamp.
- - Tightening is a judgement matter based on the hose around which the clamp is tightened. For hard hoses like exhaust you tighten down to it becomes very difficult to tighten anymore for fear of stripping the bolt threads (I call this "two grunt" tight). But care is also needed with exhaust hose "with wire" to keep from cutting the hose by squeezing the wire too much.
- - For soft hoses like blue silicon you have to be very careful as the clamp can squeeze the hose to point where the hose starts to be cut. For blue silicon I do not use T-bolt clamps but instead the standard AWAB "indented" clamps.

Even for exhaust hoses? I am having a difficult time getting a new corrugated blue silicone exhause hose to seal around a muffler.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 12:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Even for exhaust hoses? I am having a difficult time getting a new corrugated blue silicone exhause hose to seal around a muffler.
Silicone hose needs special care, as suggested upthread , NO perforated hose clamps, NO Tbolt superclamps and it can be useful to wrap the area where the clamps contact the hose with electrical tape. Two hose clamps, maybe 3 usually seals an exhaust hose, there should be very little back pressure in an exhaust system.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 12:56   #12
JPK

I personally hate perforated hose clamps and will not use them on anything. I'm a huge fan of Gates PowerGrip clamps. They're a bit pricey and somewhat tough to source but they will never corrode and will never come loose. You need to take care to get the correct size for the hose you're putting it on, but they will solve a lot of leakage issues that other clamps can't address. They work really well on silicone hose also.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 00:57   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
I personally hate perforated hose clamps and will not use them on anything. I'm a huge fan of Gates PowerGrip clamps. They're a bit pricey and somewhat tough to source but they will never corrode and will never come loose. You need to take care to get the correct size for the hose you're putting it on, but they will solve a lot of leakage issues that other clamps can't address. They work really well on silicone hose also.
Thanks, JPK.
Whodathunk: A heat shrink hose clamp!
https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...structions.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 01:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
You might not get an answer, that post was from 2011...
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 17:22   #15

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Silicone hose needs special care, as suggested upthread , NO perforated hose clamps, NO Tbolt superclamps and it can be useful to wrap the area where the clamps contact the hose with electrical tape. Two hose clamps, maybe 3 usually seals an exhaust hose, there should be very little back pressure in an exhaust system.

Hmmm I wonder if something else is the matter then. I hada tbolt and a standard AWAB clamp and it was leaking. Then I cranked it down more and it was leaking less. Then I cranked it down even more and the tbolt snapped (had some rust that I didn't previously notice where the welds were).

I wonder if I buggered my new hose by tightening down too much.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote