Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2017, 13:43   #1

Boat: Formosa F46 46'
Hood SeaFurl 5

Anyone have experience/opinion on the Hood Seafurl 5 for a 46' boat? Finishing a refit and looking for a replacement furler (getting rid of the Spintec), was considering the Schaeffer 3100 but Seafurl is almost half the price... does that mean half the reliability and quality too?
Any comments appreciated but prefer actual users of a Seafurl 5 system...
Thanks,
Shane
snbrooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 14:39   #2
F10

Boat: S&S 34
Re: Hood SeaFurl 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbrooker View Post
Anyone have experience/opinion on the Hood Seafurl 5 for a 46' boat? Finishing a refit and looking for a replacement furler (getting rid of the Spintec), was considering the Schaeffer 3100 but Seafurl is almost half the price... does that mean half the reliability and quality too?
Any comments appreciated but prefer actual users of a Seafurl 5 system...
Thanks,
Shane
I just installed the SeaFurl 5 on my S&S34. I would highly recommend the sea furl 5. Unit is very well made (in usa) of top quality materials and stainless. Very well put together. I installed my self when I had the mast down and re-rigged the entire boat. I had an older Hood furler (1980 year installed) that was at the end of its life (that unit also well made) and got a good deal on the replacement sea furl 5. The sea furl 5 is probably a little large and more strong than needed for my S&S 34, but I like things strong and over built. The sea furl 5 is good up to a 50 footer as I remember so you should be good. I have had the unit operational for 6 months now and it works perfect. I did look at all the other furlers and the types bearings they used but in the end I went with the Sea Furl 5. They have great customer service- call them direct for questions, located in Florida, good luck... I had some confusion on how to install the turnbuckle and associated gear on the wire, best to lay it all out and then measure the wire and double check all this before you make the final wire cut. Instructions are a little confusing and there are different methods to install (I ended up not using a turnbuckle as I tension the forestay with the backstay only).
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood