Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2015, 14:31   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Hole in yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Get a surveyor of your own to inspect and specify proper repair. It should be repaired from the inside and outside. Additionally this kind of damage often jars loose the "furniture" on the inside and sometimes the engine bed etc.
I agree. Find and pay a respected surveyor to check the damage and determine what needs to be done. Then get at least two quotes from qualified boatyards to fully repair the damage. This is what the insurance should be paying.
Old 27-04-2015, 18:09   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Hole in yacht

All the advice about a owner survey and contacting the oem and other experts is excellent. I repaired several fiberglass commercial hulls and a couple yachts when I was younger. I never patched from only 1 side. However, if you make the patched area too stiff in a flexing hull, you can get other failures. It's not as simple as a big inside patch.
Remember, your loss also includes diminished value. In the future your vessel will appraise lower forever because of the patched damage unless it is hidden (not smart).
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht