Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 12:01   #16

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter
Re: Hit a Rock, possible damage?

Hi All,

I appreciate the advice and reassurance. The Keel has no bolts (encapsulated), so that is one worry less. I will try to dive myself to inspect soon. If anyone has a chance to recommend any repair compound, I was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/TotalBoat-Und...ir+epoxy&psc=1

But I have no experience with this specific repair so not sure. I would much rather do the repair myself not only for the cost but in case it happens again farther from help!

Thanks again, the video was very informative!
sona1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:12   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Use Splash Zone Compound.
PET A788Q Pettit A-788 Splash Zone Compound - Seam & Bedding Compounds
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 19:28   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have used Splash Zone, at the aft end of the keel on our previous boat, where we had a seeping leak. It did a good job.

Ann
Old 27-07-2018, 13:37   #19

I just hit a rock, too, and had a diver inspect it. There is a crack. It's a wing keel. Catalina 350. He tells me that he sees it all the time and I don't have to rush to pull it. No damage other than that one spot, no water ingress. Wing keel is bolted on and I will see about what getting to the bolts when I pull it.

I hope to stay in until early October. Wondering if I should have it hauled. I hear protocol is to pull it out for an inspection if you go aground.
Jester174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 13:54   #20

Boat: Sabre 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester174 View Post
I just hit a rock, too, and had a diver inspect it. There is a crack. It's a wing keel. Catalina 350. He tells me that he sees it all the time and I don't have to rush to pull it. No damage other than that one spot, no water ingress. Wing keel is bolted on and I will see about what getting to the bolts when I pull it.

I hope to stay in until early October. Wondering if I should have it hauled. I hear protocol is to pull it out for an inspection if you go aground.
With a wing keel you need to consider the possibility that one of the wings was pushed / bent upwards. If that is the case it is not a horribly expensive repair in the hands of a yard that has fixed this kind of damage. The other issue that needs inspection when groundings of this nature occurs is the possibility of structural elements detaching from the hull. If you had grounded a Beneteau with a box frame grid system, there is a tendency for the frame tabs to disconnect from the hull. This is a much more difficult repair.
Old 29-07-2018, 15:29   #21

Look for broken tabbing inside the hull across the keel and other places. If loose, in the long term will allow the hull to flex. I have seen some develop cracks in the turn of the bilge from this. Short term not a problem.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 16:52   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Barnegat Inlet at night with a big swell? You sir are a brave man! Hope your boat is okay.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 17:02   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
First of all, relax. It happens to all of us sooner or later.

This is the time when it is appropriate very, very glad that you have an old-fashioned slow boat built like a brickhouse. Something like this could rip the keel off a rapier-keeled racing boat, or many a modern cruising boat.

I would say that it is very unlikely that there is any significant damage at all, but you should have the boat lifted out and carefully inspected. I presume you don't have a bolt-on keel -- that it's fully encapsulated, right? So in this case you need to check the integrity of the glass around the keel. If you have no water ingress then the damage is likely to be superficial and you can most likely repair it yourself.

For anyone who does this with a bolt-on keel, you need to tighten the keel bolts and carefully check the joint between the keel and the hull.

Obviously you need to check the rudder and generally give a good look-over to everything under the waterline. Take pictures and post on here if you see anything you don't understand.

If everything is working ok, steering is smooth, and no water is coming in -- I mean not a drop -- then you can probably wait to finish your cruise before you haul out and do all of this.

I agree with this post.

We have an encapsulated keel also and tore off a large chunk of glass on a rock. No water in the boat but it took all winter to dry out the keel box before I could repair it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote