Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 08:33   #1

High moisture level in deck core

I am buying older Tanzer saiboat (1975) and a price is quite reasonable. It looks like boat is in a good shape however surveyor report indicates that deck core has high moisture level in the area that stretches for several feet from chainplates on both side decks.

Surveyor told me that pretty much all boats of this age have this problem so it is not a big deal and the boat will last for several more years.

I am not sure hovewer if I should get this boat because I don't know if core will not completely rot away in a couple of years time.

Does anybody know if wooden deck core can last many years with high moisture level?

Deck seems to be pretty strong now and is not spongy or unstable.
igorf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:42   #2
GreatKetch

You don't need to know anything about deck core to know the surveyor's statement is unsupportable.

You would only know it would last for "several" more years if you knew how long it had been wet in the first place! Since he can't know that how can he possibly give you a realistic predicition of future life?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Unless you want to work, work, work, and work, somemore rebuilding a deck. Then buy something else. A good price is an indication someone wants to be rid of their own problem quick......BEST WISHES i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
What did he...

What did he define as wet?

What meter was he using and what was the reading on it?

Was it a GRP-33 meter with readings over 30%?

Did he sound it out?

How far in each direction?

It takes lots of time to saturate more than a few feet from a stanchion so that means that it could have been saturated & leaking for a very long time.

Personally I have no huge problem with a deck with "elevated", or what's considered "low moist" in moisture meter language, near critical areas as long as it sound out and is not still leaking.

If he was using the fairly standard GRP-33, as many surveyors do, you need to remember that rot starts setting in at about a 20% reading on that meter but it still may take years before any structural failings have occurred. If he is getting dull thuds near the stanchions walk away as the core has turned to mush or delaminated..

This is considered saturated and this deck sounded like you were tapping on pudding:

Although this is technically considered in the high "moist" range, and not in the "wet" range, this deck still had some delamination and dead thuds around the chain plate. As I mentioned above when using the GRP-33 or it's sister meter the CT-33 rot begins to set in at about a 20% reading on these meters..

Just for reference this is considered bone dry:

P.S. Professional core repair usually begins at about $500.00 per square foot and goes up to about $1200.00 per square foot depending on your level of cosmetic requirements for the repair. If you want it to look like it was never repaired it will cost closer to $1200.00 per sq foot than $500.00
Old 08-11-2008, 11:59   #5

That's what report says:

"The side decks show high moisture levels particulary around the chainplates where the gelcoat is fractured however surfaces check serviceably sound"

Also the note to that says:

"High moisture in deck core poses no threat to the vessel but may have a negative effect on value"

There is nothing on specifics on moisture meter reading. I will contact inspector and will try to get more specifics on moisture readings from him.

When I talked to him he said that deck seems to be still strong so there is no indication that it is mushy or delaminated. I guess it is just wet.
igorf21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core