Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2015, 10:21   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
High and Dry

In the continuing search for economy and self-reliance, and for cheaper ways to get at the underwater parts of my boat, I finally screwed up my courage yesterday and – dried out my boat against a wall.
It’s not something often done with boats this size, to say the least. They were amazed at the Royal Air Force Yacht Club, who leant me their wall. Theretofore the largest boat which had used the wall was a 45 footer. But it seemed to be suitable according to depth, width, and so forth, so – on I decided to go for it.
The bottom of the drying wall dries 2 meters above chart datum, so that means I need at least 4.3 meters rise of tide without margin for error. The prognosis for yesterday was 4.4 meters. So it was cutting it pretty close, and possible only at the very top of the tide, and getting stuck half way would have been a disaster.
In the event, I got the boat in all right, although I had to perform a davitectomy on the spot under time pressure.
I rousted practically all of the long ropes on board out of the lazarette, and tied off in 12 different ways – towards the wall to keep the boat from tipping over sideways, and towards the stern to keep the boat from tipping over forward (God forbid). After the keel touched down, I hauled the boat towards the quay to give a slight lean towards the wall.
As the water went down, the boat settled forward alarmingly. Finally stopping at 3.8 degrees. It was pouring rain and so water pooled in my cockpit (the drains are aft). But she seemed perfectly stable.
When the water had receded completely, I took the RAF pressure washer and did the bottom. Changed my anodes. Found out to my disappointment that my prop bearings are shot. Also discovered that if you use the pressure washer from too close, it will take all your antifoul right off – duh
Then went to have a drink in the lovely bar of the RAF Yacht Club – double G&T for 3.50 and a friendly welcome.
When the water came back up, I took all the lines off, and just at the top of the tide, I nosed back out and headed back to my mooring, arriving about 02:30. The RAF guys invited me to stay until the next tide the next day, but I didn’t want to go through the drying out and refloating cycle all over again, especially not while sleeping. Although the boat seemed rock stable, it made me nervous.

Was it worth it? Well, I saved over $300 on a liftout, and I think it’s easier on the boat then being craned around. On the other hand, it was a whole day of really hard labor. All those ropes are heavy, and seem to weigh twice as much when sopping wet under the driving rain.
Also, the bow of my boat hangs far beyond the sill and can’t be reached, so I couldn’t scrub that part (I’ll bring a dinghy the next time).

But I guess the best part is that it is a traditional, natural way to get at the bottom of your boat. Seamanship and your own honest labor instead of a crane and gang of hired workers. It was somehow satisfying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	highndry.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	109223
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:35   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: High and Dry

You have bigger "stuff" then me. Don't think I'd have the courage to try it
Old 17-09-2015, 10:35   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In the continuing search for economy and self-reliance, and for cheaper ways to get at the underwater parts of my boat, I finally screwed up my courage yesterday and – dried out my boat against a wall.
It’s not something often done with boats this size, to say the least. They were amazed at the Royal Air Force Yacht Club, who leant me their wall. Theretofore the largest boat which had used the wall was a 45 footer. But it seemed to be suitable according to depth, width, and so forth, so – on I decided to go for it.
The bottom of the drying wall dries 2 meters above chart datum, so that means I need at least 4.3 meters rise of tide without margin for error. The prognosis for yesterday was 4.4 meters. So it was cutting it pretty close, and possible only at the very top of the tide, and getting stuck half way would have been a disaster.
In the event, I got the boat in all right, although I had to perform a davitectomy on the spot under time pressure.
I rousted practically all of the long ropes on board out of the lazarette, and tied off in 12 different ways – towards the wall to keep the boat from tipping over sideways, and towards the stern to keep the boat from tipping over forward (God forbid). After the keel touched down, I hauled the boat towards the quay to give a slight lean towards the wall.
As the water went down, the boat settled forward alarmingly. Finally stopping at 3.8 degrees. It was pouring rain and so water pooled in my cockpit (the drains are aft). But she seemed perfectly stable.
When the water had receded completely, I took the RAF pressure washer and did the bottom. Changed my anodes. Found out to my disappointment that my prop bearings are shot. Also discovered that if you use the pressure washer from too close, it will take all your antifoul right off – duh
Then went to have a drink in the lovely bar of the RAF Yacht Club – double G&T for 3.50 and a friendly welcome.
When the water came back up, I took all the lines off, and just at the top of the tide, I nosed back out and headed back to my mooring, arriving about 02:30. The RAF guys invited me to stay until the next tide the next day, but I didn’t want to go through the drying out and refloating cycle all over again, especially not while sleeping. Although the boat seemed rock stable, it made me nervous.

Was it worth it? Well, I saved over $300 on a liftout, and I think it’s easier on the boat then being craned around. On the other hand, it was a whole day of really hard labor. All those ropes are heavy, and seem to weigh twice as much when sopping wet under the driving rain.
Also, the bow of my boat hangs far beyond the sill and can’t be reached, so I couldn’t scrub that part (I’ll bring a dinghy the next time).

But I guess the best part is that it is a traditional, natural way to get at the bottom of your boat. Seamanship and your own honest labor instead of a crane and gang of hired workers. It was somehow satisfying.

Attachment 109223
Dockhead - good for you

No offense - but I'm happy I wasn't with you doing all this (well, maybe the G&T part would ahve been OK if they had The Botanist..........................)

Just finished installing the radar on my boat - now I have to figure out how to use it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:37   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Here in the US you would be fined most heavily for pressure washing a bottom essentially in the water. Here you can only pressure wash where all runoff goes through an expensive filtration system; ie, in a boatyard.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Here in the US you would be fined most heavily for pressure washing a bottom essentially in the water. Here you can only pressure wash where all runoff goes through an expensive filtration system; ie, in a boatyard.
Indeed. We think of ourselves as the land of the free. But in the UK you can do this, and you can also discharge directly overboard.

And you're not required to register any boat under 20 meters. And you don't pay any tax at all -- zero -- other than VAT on the initial purchase.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:55   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Dockhead, another great adventure for you. Congratulations. However, if I understand correctly you still have to do the haul out to take care of the bearings and to repainted the anti-foul paint you blew off with the pressure washer. With the labor you expended was the $300 saving worthwhile?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 11:13   #7

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Dockhead: Very cool that you gave drying out try. With your very short keel, that must have been more than a little nerve racking as the bow started to settle. Can you tell us where your fore/aft center of gravity falls with respect to the bottom of your keel?

Drying wall? We don't need no stinking drying wall!

Steve

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 11:20   #8

Why didn't you simply short haul it?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 12:40   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Hmmmmm......show me that system in south texas All the boatyards here pressure wash next to the haul out slip.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 12:48   #10

Panope - is that Sliver in the background?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 12:58   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Hmmmmm......show me that system in south texas All the boatyards here pressure wash next to the haul out slip.
The newer rules will apply when they pull a permit to change/enlarge their slip. Existing marinas are grandfathered in on the old rules, anything new requires big $$ filtration.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 13:06   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
The newer rules will apply when they pull a permit to change/enlarge their slip. Existing marinas are grandfathered in on the old rules, anything new requires big $$ filtration.

I've got a sneaking hunch new won't happen here for quite a while then. This just isn't the same market as the Pacific Northwest or Florida.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 13:20   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
He said in the US
Actually it is more a West Coast US restriction. East coast seems much more lax. In the Chesapeake you can see boat yards power washing into the bay in sight of commercial oyster beds.
Old 17-09-2015, 13:25   #14

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Panope - is that Sliver in the background?

Yes it is.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 13:41   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Well done Dockhead.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote