Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-09-2016, 10:00   #1

Hiding Blisters

Hi All- I have been a lurker for a while and registered as I am now looking at my first sailboat, which brings me here. I am going to look at an 87 Hunter 25.5 this weekend which has a recent bottom paint. The owner is the boat yard it is in and the boat was given up in lieu of payment. They have cleaned it up and are selling it. With the age of the boat I am concerned about blistering. As I understand it when a boat is on the hard the blisters can go away (delamination still there) only to return once it is back in the water. Is this indeed the case? If this is true would painting the hull while the boat is out temporarily seal it and prevent the blisters from returning right away only to come back in the near future? I have spoken with the owner who says there is no blistering and I have no reason not to believe him but there are dishonest people in the world and I do not personally know the reputation so I am always cautious. Certainly I can get a marine survey done. If the bottom paint won't conceal the blisters a haul out to inspect it myself prior to hiring the surveyor seems to make sense. If I see nothing then have the full survey done.
-Sorry if this is covered somewhere, I did a quick search, plenty of info on blisters but not much on covering them up for the unsuspecting buyer

teqmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 10:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Hiding Blisters

Anti fouling paint does not "seal" the hull. It is designed to be permeated by water. In fact, that's how it works.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 11:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've not seen blisters go away very readily. They are easily filled and painted over and will come back later though. Had this happen to me twice even though the boat was surveyed. Whether this is "hiding" them, or just some people's notion of boat maintenance is a matter of opinion. You might ask around the yard if anyone worked on the bottom paint and what the condition was.
Many boats that size are very simple. If you inspect it all and then haul it and look at the bottom, a lot of people wouldn't survey it.
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 11:58   #4

Boat: bristol 27

no boat ever sank because of blisters. There is no reason to do anything. My boat has dozens.
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 13:01   #5

Perfect, these are the answers I was looking for!! thanks
teqmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: