Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2003, 14:57   #16

Runs on smoke ...

I've told many too tense people that as I worked on their computers ... "as long as we don't let the smoke out, we'll be fine". `Course, I could probably ease the anxiety further by stashing the 3# sledge that I keep on the bench ... but I don't, it's too handy where it is.

Troubledour
Troubledour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 17:19   #17

Nother 'ol mechanics saying !!

" Don't force it- get a bigger hammer"- A three pounder was for light work !
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 00:18   #18

Sweetheart

Sweetheart (the 3# sledge) does nicely, can't really swing anything bigger in here anyway ... might get one of my 'puters.

Troubledour
Old 10-12-2003, 12:53   #19

Latest update on LEDs

The things DO work ! But I'll tell ya one thing, they sure are sensitive to voltage supply. I hooked up a couple of LEDs in a circuit and used my battery charger as a supply. The LEDs were dimming then brightening in no particular pattern. Thought my connections were at fault but they were ok. So, after a few head scratchins, a few words and phrases I won't go into, I checked the voltage supply with my volt meter. It was varying a couple of volts. So, being as how this was my first circuit, the next one will use a voltage regulator ( 5 volt) that you can buy for 2 bucks at radio shack. This way a fully charged battery or one thats almost drained will still power up these little jewels. Found some super bright LEDs for sale on Ebay, looks like you can get a dozen or so for around 20 bucks including shipping. You can get a inexpensive anchor light on Sailnet for around 15 bucks less shipping. So the quest continues. As it stands right now, the price for most of the components will be around 60 to 70 bucks USA. Compared to just the replacement bulb for 150 bucks, a whole light for 350 - 400, this still looks like a good deal. The Deep Creek design is guaranteed for 5 years, so if I can get that much time or more otta this, it looks like a good deal.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, you can't be a beacon if your light don't shine-stomp,stomp,stomp- Everybuddy sing
Old 10-12-2003, 13:55   #20

Have you come up with a lens/housing arrangement ?

Troubledour
Old 10-12-2003, 18:38   #21

Welll, right now I'd probably go

with this one and put new innards in it.
http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=16083
I don't think I could manufacture a lens/housing cheaper. I'm not all that excited about the lens though. These are made for an incandescent bulb and they shove light out in all directions so the lens has to compensate. An LED has the light already focused in a cone, usually from 100 to 20 degrees. You could use an upside down polycarbonate drinking glass for a lens and it would work fine. It would just have to be U-V stable. But like I said, doofing around making something when for such a cheap price you got most everything ya need handed to ya- well !!
Been kinda dragging my heels lately on this, Christmas shopping and all. But maybe in a week or so, if everything comes together, I'll post a more complete report with links, conclusions, and a more solid bottom line here. Just like Gordo. Will say one thing though, don't buy LEDs at Radio Shack. They are very expensive there. 6 bucks a piece. I bought two just to doink around with trying things out. I have found a site where you can get a more intense light for 60 percent less. There are various circuits you can use with these. I will check them out more fully and make a component list and suppliers of all the stuff when I can fit it in. This organizational stuff is hard for an ol' exhaust gas breathin' mechanic. I doze off a lot.
Old 10-12-2003, 21:04   #22

I don't buy anything at RadioShack, it's always a different kid clerk that doesn't have a clue about what he's selling & I can buy a freakin gun with less hassle. I've actually had the above mentioned kid clerks insist that they couldn't ring up a sale without name, address, phone, etc.

Gave up on 'em a couple of years ago, at least. Lowes too, now that they've subscribed to similar market data mining schemes.

Troubledour