Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2012, 15:17   #1

Boat: 43' Bruce Roberts Ketch
Helping me ID my Perkins 4.236

Hi all, I've been getting some solid advice so far on this forum, so I thought I'd try another one
I've got an old Perkins 4.236 in the sailboat I bought this year, and am in the process of starting some work. I've pulled off the wet exhaust. I'm replacing the raw water lines and changing belts and hoses. I've removed the injectors and want to get them serviced, and am considering pulling off the head and have it checked. This is where I've run into a bit of a problem.
From all accounts the motor is a pre 1974 possibly even a mid 60's model. When I went into my Perkins dealer 'Battlefield Equipment' they understandably want an engine ID number. Problem is, that a Perkins that old does not have the standard 13 digit ID, and Battlefield doesn't seem to be interested in trying to help.
If you have a look at the below pic these are the only numbers other than the casting #(37736478) on the port side of the motor.

If you have any trouble reading it, the number stamped into the block is 236U, and the plate is: 4.236 570 ABB From what Battlefield says they cannot source me parts based on these numbers. Any suggestions of someone to ask, or how to find an equivalent standard ID would be greatly appreciated.
Rob Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 19:40   #2

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Helping me ID my Perkins 4.236

I have purchased parts from HARPER power products inc. (Detroit Diesel).
They were very helpful at the Stoney Creek office and they also have a Toronto location. However, my engine is 1979 and has the newer number.

These companies could probably help:

Perkins Engine Identification Guide

Engine number location : Parts4Engines: Perkins Diesel Engine Overhaul Kits and Spares
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 17:46   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 38s5
I found the year of my old Westerbeke by checking service bulletins in a service manual I downloaded online. Comparing the modifications to the years and engine numbers given gave me the year of mine. Googling your engine quickly shows that the numbering did indeed change after 1974. I found another link describing engine numbering from the 60s but it talks about a seven digit number: http://www.parts4engines.com/index.p...page=page&id=5. Are you sure you don't have another number somewhere?
Turquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 08:35   #4

Boat: 40' steel Trawler
Re: Helping me ID my Perkins 4.236

Hi Rob

google Trans Atlantic Diesel

They have everything you need for Perkins Diesels. I have twin Perkins 6 cyl. turbo-diesels in one boat and a single 4-236 in another, and "TAD" has supplied me with parts - No Problem.

Good Luck

Capt Nemo
Capt Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins