Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2008, 17:47   #1

help with hydraulic pump

my yacht www.yachtwillow .com is currently in the south china sea 7 deg20N 107deg 20E about 300 NM southish of Ho Chi Minh city Vietnam.

I have an experienced delivery crew on board but I'm not there for the first time ever as i am currently working in Hong Kong

PROBLEM leaking hydraulic fluid from hydrive steering system. check valve cover on raymarine electric pump type 1 supplied 3 years ago but in service for 1 year is leaking about 1/4 of a cup of fluid every 6 hours.

is anyone familiar with this unit can someone provide detail to stop the leak without loosing much more oil can we remove the cap what is inside etc

currently using cooking oil to top up

Willow is currently en route to Vietnam Sunsail base in Nah Trang but I would prefer yacht not to go to vietnam for repairs as no visa or prior arrangement has been made.

Would like to continue on to Hong Kong if we can sort out this leak issue.

Cheers thanks

Bruce
brucewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 18:18   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I can't find anything on their site that shows how the check valve is put together.

If it looks like it has a seal leak then open and use sealant/cut gasket to effect repair.

If you already are using veg oil then maybe just continue, if you have enough?

Armchairing here you know.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 18:21   #3

thanks

Ok thanks for reply crew have solved problem. I found another pump in the store at work so disassembled and advised crew regarding repair, it was just an O ring as suspected inside there was a ball and spring.

Cheers

Bruce
brucewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 18:24   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewillow View Post
Ok thanks for reply crew have solved problem. I found another pump in the store at work so disassembled and advised crew regarding repair, it was just an O ring as suspected inside there was a ball and spring.

Cheers

Bruce
Good to hear.........now about that veg oil...........
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Yes it is a simple O-ring. Is the O-ring damaged?? There is not much that can damage the ring. It could have been damaged when first assembled. I doubt the rudder would put enough pressure on the system to spit the ring out. It does happen on bigger installations.
Cooking oil is a good substitute and should not cause any harm. I suggest you give the system a good flush when you get her home though. Just to ensure you have what is supposed to be in there.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote