Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2019, 08:27   #46

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Help, stuck on deck!

The rubber used on mast wedges is quite stiff. Wood works but can work its way loose in heavy waves/winds as the deck can move up and down at times. Wood wedges can be creaky at times too. Depends on what kind of sailing you do. Wood has been used for years successfully.

If you are using blocks connected to the mast collar you are putting a lot of upward force on the collar and deck which is held down by what looks like 6 or 7 wood screws? Wood screws in tension don't hold a whole lot. Through bolts with large area flat washers or some other kind of backer would be a better idea than just wood screws. Or use a mast tie rod like below.

Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 10:13   #47

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
The rubber used on mast wedges is quite stiff. Wood works but can work its way loose in heavy waves/winds as the deck can move up and down at times. Wood wedges can be creaky at times too. Depends on what kind of sailing you do. Wood has been used for years successfully.

If you are using blocks connected to the mast collar you are putting a lot of upward force on the collar and deck which is held down by what looks like 6 or 7 wood screws? Wood screws in tension don't hold a whole lot. Through bolts with large area flat washers or some other kind of backer would be a better idea than just wood screws. Or use a mast tie rod like below.

Excellent schematic of a mast tie. I'll look at adding this to my "pay a professional" list.

About screws not being enough, concur! I'm actually shocked this thing hasn't been yanked skyward already. I think the adhesive from years ago was basically not effective anymore, considering how easy it was to pull off deck after wedges and screws were removed. Luckily the combination of wedges and screws held it down.

I have much more confidence in the metric ton of polysulf. I just bedded it with. Maybe not fit for ocean crossing without your recommendation for mast tie, though.

Gracias!
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 10:29   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
Any objection to painting this thing white, by the way? It gets dang hot in the summer. It's mostly covered by a boot, and nice uv boot cover. But thinking about the flat area on bottom and where hardware attaches, I kinda think the whole thing being white my look nice
I wouldn't. Even professionally acid etched, mil spec primed and painted aluminum I've had bubble up in a wet zone like that within a year. Leave it bare!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 14:18   #49

Boat: Sabre 34

temp fix-- FLEXSEAL
mainsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 14:41   #50

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Rainy day mental ramblings......

Lots of ways to hold the collar down and keep the deck from arching up. Simple way is drill a hole for a bolt through the collar and mast. Done. More elegant solutions like the way Pearson does it would also work. Surprised there is nothing there already as Shannon is a very reputable builder/designer.

If you ever pull the mast you can easily DIY anodize the collar. Or buy a stainless one.

If you clean the collar well flex seal would actually work OK as a paint. Pain to remove but it's pretty tough stuff and sticks to anything it touches. I used some FlexSeal (which is essentially rubberized paintable undercoating) on my Edson aluminum binnacle base. Held up fine for about 7 years.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:51   #51

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Rainy day mental ramblings......

Lots of ways to hold the collar down and keep the deck from arching up. Simple way is drill a hole for a bolt through the collar and mast. Done. More elegant solutions like the way Pearson does it would also work. Surprised there is nothing there already as Shannon is a very reputable builder/designer.

If you ever pull the mast you can easily DIY anodize the collar. Or buy a stainless one.

If you clean the collar well flex seal would actually work OK as a paint. Pain to remove but it's pretty tough stuff and sticks to anything it touches. I used some FlexSeal (which is essentially rubberized paintable undercoating) on my Edson aluminum binnacle base. Held up fine for about 7 years.
I don't think there is an issue with the deck "arching up" - it's a very stout / heavy boat. If the deck is buckling to any degree, there are other major issues.

I plan on pulling the mast this winter after sailing season - but that doesn't afford opportunity to do anything with the collar - it's stuck on deck now It doesn't come up with the mast!
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck