Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-06-2015, 08:11   #16

Boat: Rafiki 35
Re: Help Replacing Cabin Liners

Hi there, I'm looking at buying a Rafiki 35 with a rotten cabin liner and I was just wondering how your job replacing yours went? By which I mean, how awful was it to do, and how does it look now? What did you decide to use for materials?

Also, the boat we are looking at has a but of compression from the mast. It looks like someone has done work on it in the past by. We can't tell much from looking at the base of the compression post (where it sits on the keel). Does anyone have photos of theirs or would be able to take one? Would be nice to have something to compare it with. Thanks !

Old 15-06-2015, 09:38   #17

Boat: Tartan 33

Dalloway

I ended up going KISS. I used Clorox spray and got the mold off that way. Be sure to use mask and eye protection as it is a contest between the mold and the Clorox as to which is more offensive.

Cabin ceiling looks brand new without the mold!

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 10:32   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Help replacing cabin liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikogold View Post
Nice thought but don't go for this stuff. I used it in my reefer rebuilt but wouldn't think anyone would like it on an overhead. Use vinyl fabric with some padding. Formica or "door skin" thin plywood can be used for the "form". Use contact cement to glue the fabric/padding on. Size the form for the thickness of the vinyl at the edges and glue on the back. Then get some of the 3M double taped velcro to put it up. Works like a charm. Biggest expense is the fabric.

If you have the space, insulation is good regardless of the climate. The hard foam boards from Home Depot work and so does the rolls of bubble stuff that has silver reflecting mylar on each side. Good stuff and not expensive. You can cut it and tape together to make one size for each spot.

A nice headliner will immediately dress up your cabin. A bad one will make your guests wince when they come aboard. It takes some fussing and some cussing but you'll get the hang of it after a couple of screwups.
Old 16-06-2015, 22:43   #19

Hi Dalloway,
If the liner is rotten as you say, it is not a clorox job.
Taking out the liner is a real pita. Just trying to remove the screws without damaging the teak moldings is a time consuming and sometimes frustrating job, specially on the sides of the cabin where ports leaks rottened the liner. Of course you have to remove all the fittings and reseal them, which include the ports on the sides. You must remove all the teak from the side panels as well, at least the top bar if you are doing only the ceiling. If you do the sides you also will have to take into account the space the thick panel takes and plan accordingly.

At the end I did the cabin ceiling and one side of the cabin, I used a kind of formica that was not the right one (supposedly waterproof but I can see watermarks). It looks much better than without liners but I will redo it in the future. The v berth is still unfinished. I did spend a lot of time cruising though, so it is a matter of priorities in my case. I did use some insulation but is hard to tell if it made any difference.

Exmaggiedrum advice sounds good to me and I would probably go that way next time.
Having said all that, I am very happy with the boat. It is a very solid, well built sailboat and a pleasure to sail. I did not find any problems in my mast step, I think I have a pic of it somewhere I'll try to find it. I'm in the DR but living a few hours away from the boat now so not easy to get new pics.
Cheers
Old 16-06-2015, 22:59   #20

Here are some pics from the process, sorry couldn't find a pic from the mast step

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121103_203332.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	103856

Name:	IMG_20121104_153947.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	103857

Name:	IMG_20121107_220953.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	103858
Old 17-06-2015, 04:08   #21

Wow. Ok. It does looks like it was a lot harder than I thought. Thanks for the pics that's really informative. Thank you.
Old 17-06-2015, 06:56   #22

Help Replacing Cabin Liners

We looked around in the bilge and it seems to me that the keel ballast is probably built in/encased as opposed to a bolt on keel. Do you know if that is correct?

Also, since I'm sure you must have had water intrusion to get to the point where your cabin liner needed to be replaced, did you wind up also having to re-core any of the decks or cabinhouse roof?
Old 17-06-2015, 06:56   #23

Boat: Tartan 30

I used this and it worked great. Inexpensive, light weight, easy to cut with a utility knife for installation, and cleans easily.

Product Search & Results
Old 17-06-2015, 07:50   #24

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalloway View Post
We looked around in the bilge and it seems to me that the keel ballast is probably built in/encased as opposed to a bolt on keel. Do you know if that is correct?

Also, since I'm sure you must have had water intrusion to get to the point where your cabin liner needed to be replaced, did you wind up also having to re-core any of the decks or cabinhouse roof?
RAFIKI 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Looks integral to me,

goat
Old 17-06-2015, 07:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post

How can you tell from that picture? Ha. I would guess that you are correct but what about it makes you say that? The fact that it has a full length keel?
Old 17-06-2015, 09:51   #26

The keel is enclosed.
The boat is very solidly built, I did not have to re-core anything so far.
IT is a great boat.
It sails like a dream, not the fastest boat around but very nice ride.
Old 17-06-2015, 09:54   #27

Seems like you are taking her on some adventures! We would mostly be using her on the Chesapeake bay and maybe the Delaware bay. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 17-06-2015, 10:17   #28

Boat: Gemini 3200

It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it has furring strips. I used to have a mobile auto headliner business and have done thousands of headliners. My best friend did custom vans. Stay away from foam backed products and use something like stretchform, with or without luan for a backing board. The foam breaks down from the heat and the headliner will sag after about 6 years. The stretchform on my old cabin cruiser was still going strong after 30 years.

To use stretchform, spray countertop contact cement from a paint spray gun with the nozzle wide open onto both the back of the stretchform and the the luan (or directly onto the fiberglass). It will come out in a spiderweb...not need to soak the fabric. Let it tack up for a couple of minutes and install and trim. This is easily the quickest and cheapest route I know.
Old 17-06-2015, 11:36   #29

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

We re-installed the complete headliner in our Transpacific 49 (believe me, a lot of area and panels!) back in the early nineties. We had an upholsterer in Ensenada do it for next to nothing... Paid for materials and supplied the new panels to him, installed them ourselves after sanding and varnishing the furring strips. I think the total cost was less than $500! Do what you can yourself and get help with the part of the job that is beyond you. Phil
Old 18-06-2015, 08:52   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassabossa View Post
It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it has furring strips. I used to have a mobile auto headliner business and have done thousands of headliners. My best friend did custom vans. Stay away from foam backed products and use something like stretchform, with or without luan for a backing board. The foam breaks down from the heat and the headliner will sag after about 6 years. The stretchform on my old cabin cruiser was still going strong after 30 years.

To use stretchform, spray countertop contact cement from a paint spray gun with the nozzle wide open onto both the back of the stretchform and the the luan (or directly onto the fiberglass). It will come out in a spiderweb...not need to soak the fabric. Let it tack up for a couple of minutes and install and trim. This is easily the quickest and cheapest route I know.
Good ideas from a pro here. But can you provide a link for the stretchform material. I can't find it online? Plenty of stuff on stretched aluminum though. Thanks.

Tags
cabin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: