Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2009, 20:18   #16

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_moondust View Post
Can't wait to start sailing in NZ waters. Is anyone over there sailing at present? Tell us all the goss and good places and the bad ones.
You don't say where she is lying, but some of the really great sailing areas in NZ are: the Hauraki Gulf and Bay of Islands (NE of North Island); Marlborough Sounds, Durville Island & Tasman Bays (N end of South Island); and Fiordland (much less accessible to most, in the S of the S Island).

Good cruising guides are available for most areas. Charts can be found on NZ202 Chart Catalogue - download and save the tiff files and have a good look.

Send me mail if you want more info on the central region.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 04:23   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwards View Post
Congratulations! Post some pictures for us.
Diddo that....pics!
Big CONGRATULATIONS
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 22:35   #18

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Hi again all. Thanks Roger.W for your help (and everyone else). She is currently lying in Whangaparoa in Gulf Harbour Marina north of Auckland. We still dont have a fly over date but sooner rather than later would be nice. We own a campervan here in Australia so we have to sell that first and then we can set off. We haven't actually sailed for over three years now (I can hear the gasps of horror from you all now!) so we are going to take a year to cruise NZ slowly and learn all the things we have forgotten. Like navigation! Like steering something this big! In wind, into a berth! Oh crumbs I need reminding why we did this again. Anyway as soon as the campervan is gone my husband will finish work and we will be over. Hope to see plenty of yachties over there.
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 01:06   #19

Boat: deboated
Recently sold KP44 great boat and very hard to replace. Never heard of the problem but I sell cars and friends of buyers are always a problem. They think they have a duty to find something wrong with the vehicle and bag it no matter how good the vehicle/price etc and love telling you that they could have found a cheaper one and you paid too much. That is until I suggest that they do that and I will then take the vehicle back and give a full refund. Suddenly they are too busy etc etc etc. Enjoy the KP44 one of the safest bluwater cruise boats afloat.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 01:20   #20

Boat: Peterson 44 in Fiji
Hi Moondust - I'm a kiwi Peterson 44 owner (although my boat is in Fiji). Which NZ-based boat did you buy? You'll find some very good info on the rudder issue on the KP44 website - well worth joining the group as the people are very friendly. My sense is that there's nothing generically wrong with the design - old things need to be fixed and it needn't be a drama. I have a backup of an auxialliary rudder (US-made Autohelm vande gear).

My limited experience with the Peterson 44's (I purchased in October after selling my previous boat in Fiji) is that there are plenty of project 44's out there, displaying all the bad bits like rotten tanks, bad motors, spongy decks and ply delamination inside. But there are also plenty of well maintained Peterson 44's - incrementally improved by their loyal owners. A well maintained and upgraded 44 is a joy to own and to sail, and you can be sure to find another owner to talk thru any problem you might have in just about any anchorage in the world.

Mine is a bit in-between project and the other, but I bought her with my eyes open (well, one of them at least). I'm Wellington based but will be in Fiji from April - Vuda point initially working on the boat - hope to see you there!

Enjoy
Rhumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 06:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_moondust View Post
Hi again all. Thanks Roger.W for your help (and everyone else). She is currently lying in Whangaparoa in Gulf Harbour Marina north of Auckland. We still dont have a fly over date but sooner rather than later would be nice. We own a campervan here in Australia so we have to sell that first and then we can set off. We haven't actually sailed for over three years now (I can hear the gasps of horror from you all now!) so we are going to take a year to cruise NZ slowly and learn all the things we have forgotten. Like navigation! Like steering something this big! In wind, into a berth! Oh crumbs I need reminding why we did this again. Anyway as soon as the campervan is gone my husband will finish work and we will be over. Hope to see plenty of yachties over there.
Welcome to the KP44 world and congratulations!!

As others have said, a well maintained KP44 is a joy to own and sail. Great liveaboard. Design flaw with the rudder/skeg? Hogwash. I have heard of one instance where a rudder fell off, but that is not the most uncommon mishap among boats as old as this. One of the first things you will want to attend to is to check the rudder out thoroughly and have any necessary repairs done. If the rudder has not been attended to by the previous owners, it is possibly waterlogged and substantially weakened. It was well designed and built, but it must not be ignored, maintenance-wise.

I may have missed it, but did you have the boat surveyed? If not, I would strongly recommend that you address that issue. And if your purchase has not yet been finalized, make the transaction subject to survey. It is, after all a 30 year old boat, that probably has some fairly complex systems aboard. Then find the best surveyor in the area and hire him/her to thoroughly inspect the boat and do a sea trial. Preferably with you present and aboard.

I think you will find much help at the owners' website, previously referenced. It's a great resource.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 16:31   #22

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
Peterson 44

Hi Moondust,

We are considering a Peterson 44. I'm wondering how you are doing with your recently acquired P-44? Hope you had a nice trip to Oz. At least you were going the right way! Made the trip a couple of times from OZ to NZ. Not fun.

Cheers,
PJ
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 22:08   #23

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Hi PJ, and others thank you for all your assistance. Well PJ we are very very happy with our KP44 called Willow. Yep she is old (er) and she has all the inherent problems that go with an older boat but apart from the filth and crap left by the previous owner we haven't regretted the decision to go ahead at all.

We will be coming out in October for the bottom wash and paint and also a look at the dubious rudder. Maintenance was a non starter with the previous owner and we are taking the time to learn, fix, repair, paint, rebed etc etc etc as a full on learning experience. It is amazing what you find on boats that haven't been well loved!!!
No - truly happy with our lot and we went in with our eyes open so its all good.

In fact we came the opposite way PJ - we came to NZ to look at another boat and then saw Willow and fell for her instead so we are now liveaboards here in Auckland until we set forth (hopefully) next year.

So PJ which KP44 are you looking at? There is an awesomely priced one in Fiji now and it looks in reasonable condition. (of course photos are very deceptive). If we can offer any help at all just let us know (I have sent you a PM) and we would love to hear more from you about your looking. Good luck
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peterson, skeg rudder