Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 11:37   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Help me identify these gadgets

One of my favorite parts about boat work is playing detective - what on earth is this spare part and why did the prior owner do things this way?

But sometimes I get stumped and throw out what seems to be a useless piece of junk, only to realize a year later that it had a function. But I can't justify keeping unknown items forever. So can anyone help me identify the below pictures?

1) 3 vice type grips or mounts. They look like they could've been mounted to a workbench to hold wood pieces, but also seem more purpose-built / specific than that. They're quite heavy for their size (maybe cast iron?). One has a string attached.

2) (Pics 2+3): Electrical doohickey. Came from an engine/starter spares box. Looks like it plugs into something, and has some copper/foil at the top, and a mounting arm, and two connection points on the back. The metal bar on the top is especially confusing.

3a) Circular disc doohickey. Some kind of motor magnet? Labeled "NTN USA 6203C3". From Googling this I found it is a radial ball bearing. What would that be used for? FYI I have a Yanmar 3HM.

3b) Greased cap with roller bearings inside. Labeled "Bremen USA BA608"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClampThings.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	118717   Click image for larger version

Name:	ElectricalThing1.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	118718  

Name:	ElectricalThing2.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	118719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Items3a3b.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	118720  

Name:	Items3a3b2.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	118721  
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:26   #2

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau 36.2
Re: Help me identify these gadgets

The electrical doohicky is a motor brush assembly. The metal rod holds the brushes in for assembly to the motor.
Geitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geitz View Post
The electrical doohicky is a motor brush assembly. The metal rod holds the brushes in for assembly to the motor.
Interesting. What applications might a motor brush assembly have on a boat? Starter motor or alternator? We don't have a generator or water maker.
Old 10-02-2016, 13:01   #4

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau 36.2

Alternator brushes........I'm amending my first guess.
Geitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 16:08   #5

Boat: corbin39

The brush holder and bearings look like there for a AC delco alternator think a 10 dn model.the black things I don't know
B-Baysailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Baysailer View Post
The brush holder and bearings look like there for a AC delco alternator think a 10 dn model.the black things I don't know
Oh, I think I do have an ACDelco alternator. Good call, you win on those items!

I had thought alternators weren't something that were really user repairable. Thought most people just carried a spare one with them if they were worried about it breaking. Seems like of the X number of things that could break with an alternator, it would be just my luck that the broken thing wouldn't be the brush holder or bearings.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:43   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
Oh, I think I do have an ACDelco alternator. Good call, you win on those items!

I had thought alternators weren't something that were really user repairable. Thought most people just carried a spare one with them if they were worried about it breaking. Seems like of the X number of things that could break with an alternator, it would be just my luck that the broken thing wouldn't be the brush holder or bearings.
Yep. It is not worth the effort to repair a Delco alt. any longer. Buy a re-built for < $100 & keep it aboard wrapped in poly bag to prevent corrosion.
The cup with grease in it is an alternator bearing http://www.kml-bearing.com/products/...aring_no=BA608

No idea on the clamps except they appear to be for a special purpose as opposed to a general purpose clamp. Could be wrong
Old 11-02-2016, 09:54   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I carry one of those delco repair kits. It usually also has a diode set with it. I have replaced these. Not a hard job. I suspect the previous owner blew the diode set which is a common occurrence on some boats. He only used the diode set out of the kit and you have the left overs. The clamp looks like a custom made for a specific application.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:18   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
One of my favorite parts about boat work is playing detective - what on earth is this spare part and why did the prior owner do things this way?

But sometimes I get stumped and throw out what seems to be a useless piece of junk, only to realize a year later that it had a function. But I can't justify keeping unknown items forever. So can anyone help me identify the below pictures?

1) 3 vice type grips or mounts. They look like they could've been mounted to a workbench to hold wood pieces, but also seem more purpose-built / specific than that. They're quite heavy for their size (maybe cast iron?). One has a string attached.

2) (Pics 2+3): Electrical doohickey. Came from an engine/starter spares box. Looks like it plugs into something, and has some copper/foil at the top, and a mounting arm, and two connection points on the back. The metal bar on the top is especially confusing.

3a) Circular disc doohickey. Some kind of motor magnet? Labeled "NTN USA 6203C3". From Googling this I found it is a radial ball bearing. What would that be used for? FYI I have a Yanmar 3HM.

3b) Greased cap with roller bearings inside. Labeled "Bremen USA BA608"
Pic 4 & 5 looks like a sealed bearing, on the right. The thing on the left looks like a grease cup. You will have to find out what they may have been for. The grease cup looks like one for a small trailer axle? I wish I could be of more use. May just be accumulated stuff? We all tend to do that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:27   #10

Boat: 2007 Gemini105mc 34ft

Me thinks the electrical gadget is for burning /sealing the ends of poly lines.
I don't think you would plug in a brush aligner? The lever brings the heated element down to do the cutting /sealing
GBonjour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:13   #11

Brackets look like they may be meant to hold something in alignment rather than to exert bending or similar force. The 4 bolts could locate a cylindrical object - of a specific diameter - with some accuracy.

For example, steadying a prop shaft while a replacement p-bracket was glassed in.

No way to find out from previous owner what he made it for?
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:23   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Most alternators are easily repairable. There's a shaft, come bearings, the brushes, the diodes (or diode frame) and regulator, all come apart with ordinary hand tools, the exception being if you need a press to get out the shaft bearings.

If you can change a roll of toilet paper, and the bulbs and batteries in a flashlight, you're probably capable of alternator repair. The hard part is getting the replacement spares, and understanding how to troubleshoot them.

But even if you don't know that, your odds are much better if you HAVE the spares, because some repair shop in East Podunk won't have them, and the FedEx charges for parts, at retail cost, will be killer.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:00   #13
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lacoste 42 SE - Beneteau 50

The electrical part is a brush holder for a Delco 10DN and therefore fits Older Balmar alternators - 91 series and others
The bottom pics are of the front sealed bearing, and the rear needle roller bearing on the same alternators
DMBOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:07   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Do you think the brackets were to aid him to template his keel (fore and aft)? It looks pretty small for the leading edge of a keel of a 38, however (thanks for the pen for scale). Agree that it was custom made from angle-brackets and bolts for a specific purpose or mount.
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:18   #15

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

DelCo-Remy alternator parts. Big bearing at front, near to fan.Grease cup for rear of rotor. Grey thing is brush cage with retainer pin thru brushes to hold them back against spring pressure. When assembled, that wire ( normally a straightened paperclip works best ) project out thru a crescent shaped hole in the alternator backplate. Put the pin when assembly is complete and brushes engage slip rings on the rotor. The arm projecting attaches to the regulator, or the diode bridge. Been a while, cant quite remember.