Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 09:31   #1

Help identify this material

The aft bulkhead of my engine room (it is a center cockpit) is where the bilge pump, watermaker pump, freshwater pump and accumulator tank are mounted, It appears that, during construction, a layer of wood (im not sure if it is marine plywood) the same meaurements as the bulkhead was screwed onto the glaased in bulkhead. All of the equipment is actually bolted to this "sacrificial" bulkhead. Sandwiched bewteen the rear bulkhead and this sacrificial piece is a layer of material I can't identify. I can only feel the edge of it but it isn't wood. It gives like foam but doesn't feel like foam. I suppose it could be a foam with large granules. It does sort of have that feel. I initially thought it was particle board but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

It appears to be a sheet of some sort of sound insulation or vibration dampening material. I need to rearrange the systems in the bulkhead and want to replace this stuff with something that doesnt retain water. Some of the edges of this layer are damp so while Ive got all the systems off the bulkhead it seems to be a good time to replace it.

Anyone know what this might be from a mid 80s era construction? Sorry, no picture...can't get an angle to get one.

It is a Brewer 12.8 built by Ft. Myers.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 10:44   #2

I was able to get this stuff identified as sound insulating material.

So the question now is...when I replace this material what is the 2013 version of what I should use? Ideally it won't absorb water and risk keeping the bulkhead damp and causing it to rot.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:11   #3

Re: Help identify this material

There is a sound deadening paint available. I forget what it's called but inexpensive and easy to apply. Does the boat need it? Lead is superb sound deadening but I dont imagine you want to use that. I would think an engine room would be dry and warm... are you fixing something that doesnt need fixed?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 11:14   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Thread about insulation,
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-98750.html

Good luck
Old 16-10-2013, 11:17   #5

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Coosa board.

are you going to glass it in? how are you going to attach the 'board' to the bulkhead.

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 11:20   #6

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
If you're putting the "sacrificial" bulkhead back I would put stirps of rubber between the two. It won't hold moisture and won't transfer vibration, therefore it won't transfer sound.

Savvy?
Old 16-10-2013, 11:22   #7

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
Coosa board.

are you going to glass it in? how are you going to attach the 'board' to the bulkhead.

-s
If you glass it in it will not work in absorbing sound.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I used Soundown to insulate my engine room. There are several versions with varying thickness and layers. I used a 2" with high density rubber core sandwiched between foam. The company sells you a metallic waterproof tape to seal the edges and keep the water out.

Soundown came out best in a Practical Sailor test several years back. The company is also very helpful with tech advise.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 11:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There is a sound deadening paint available. I forget what it's called but inexpensive and easy to apply. Does the boat need it? Lead is superb sound deadening but I dont imagine you want to use that. I would think an engine room would be dry and warm... are you fixing something that doesnt need fixed?
I don't know. I do know I need to rearrange how the systems are arranged and mounted for better hose management. I discoved this when I was measuring the available space so I could design how I wanted it. The bottom edge of it is wet so I feel I need to be prepared to remove it if necesssy. If so I need to figure out if I want to reinsulate (leaning towards no) and if so, what with.

And, yes, I'm also investigating why it is wet.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:46   #10

And if I don't replace the sandwiched piece I have to decide if I want to remount a sacrificial bulkhead (leaning toward yes) to mount the equipment on. In this case I'll insulate the exposed wall instead of using the sandwich and consider use vibration damping mounts for the pumps.
Old 16-10-2013, 12:37   #11

Boat: C&C Newport 41

i dont think coosa is stiff enough to support the weight of mounted items if secured to the bulkhead without resin.

idk what to recommend.

stay away from organics if you dont resolve whatever the water issue is.

gl.

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote