Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 15:35   #1

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Help identify the manufacturer of this fitting

Hi,

I am about to replace my steering system's chain and wire. The wire is 5/16" and uses #50 chain. I've got those parts covered.

The previous owner left a trove of spares, including older steering chain and fittings. That's great. The older set up used 1/4" cable and compression fittings on the chain to cable bits. I don't recognize the manufacturer of the fitting and am curious.

The fitting could be UK or US made. The Netherlands is also possible, but I believe these spares are from the current steering system, which I was told is not original.

Here is the fitting assembled, and the interesting bits from its mate:

And here is a closeup of the manufacturer's mark:

And yes, the sheaves are quite capable of handling the 5/16" cable properly. Plenty of groove width and sheave radius. I'm doing the replacement as a preventive maintenance item this year. No meat hooks or wear, yet.
I have had chain fail on a previous boat so I am taking the conservative road here.
That failure was a few months after a careful inspection. The chain oil and general black gunk hid the cracked link sideplate.

And before everyone tells me to revarnish that table , it's my 90 year old Maple dining table that was my grandmother's.

Thanks in advance.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Help identify the manufacturer of this fitting

looks like an older stalock fitting.
new range here
https://www.stalok.com/product/sta-lok-fork-inch

the fitting you have should be reusable as long as there is no cracking or crevice corrosion
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote