Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 12:58   #1

Boat: 1977 New Bombay Trading Co. Pilot 31'
HELP I can't quit starting projects!

No really, I mean I love our boat but everywhere I look I seesomething I want to improve, change, upgrade! Its me, not the boat as I was the same way on land....I added on or remodeled our house constantly. My wife says I have to chill out..but I keep seeing things to do! Do any of you have these issues?
SebastianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 13:12   #2

Re: HELP I can't quit starting projects!

Build one from scratch. That will cure you. For a while anyway.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 13:22   #3

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380

Yep, I'm the same way.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 15:24   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Perhaps you would enjoy going for a sail?

Maybe it's only a problem between you and your good lady? Why should you not start new projects? if that's what you want to do? Get clear on which you prefer, working on boats or playing on them? There's plenty of space for both types of people, and some simply lose interest when all the jobs are finished. Then gotta get a new project. Life.

Ann
Old 13-02-2016, 17:02   #5

I love projects.

But shift them into a process (Project Management is becoming a bit of a lost art, but it is very worthwhile getting to grips with). A process of maintenance and upgrades suits boats (well I think so anyway). Otherwise things can get rapidly out of control (and hammering funds).

Schedule one upgrade a year, one service replacement a year, plus annual maintenance, then if you can fit one more upgrade or worthwhile service replacement in as well, within a few years you should be well on top of everything and have a good handle on when to do things. I'd shelve the optional one the first year, so you can finish the plan and put your feet up for a bit.

Perhaps start with the V berth and work back, one area per year?

If the Admiral wants a new heads/shower system, probably best to start with that first.

Perhaps you are just having a bit of trouble adjusting, and being able to relax? It can take people quite a while to.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 17:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

I share your pain, but for me, with my boat in the water at my dock, I really find it enjoyable to be doing the project work. I'm on the water, the salt air breezes, noises of the waterway, make it all good. Knowing that my goal is to eventually sail it away from the dock is good enough for now.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 17:57   #7

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
HELP I can't quit starting projects!

I love projects, there is however a balance here.
If your projects cut into enjoying the boat on the water, you might look into why you have a boat in the first place.
Burn out usually happens in cases where your interest in projects or need to "get everything right before you go out"
gets the upper hand.

Look at the other side, lots of people don't consider the factors involved in caring for a vessel your life may depend on.
This is crazy and careless, in my opinion!
It's also true that if you spend all your time fixing things you think may break or need attention before enjoying the experience, you could very well lose interest in the entire adventure.
Remember, "attitude is the difference between adventure and ordeal"
Just fix the stuff that could cause a serious problem, the rest can wait.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 18:05   #8

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Totally! I read this post earlier... haunted me all afternoon...Thank you for the question...My reason is probably different...

I used to go sailing for months at a time for many years...going is not the problem, I love to go...

I keep finding things I need to do, always having six things started and ongoing. Lately I have not enjoyed it as much...kinda stuck. Nothing I can't complete or get rid of in a month. There is always another project, it is a boat.

It comes down to knowing that after 36 years, this won't be my "home" once I leave, maybe home is, wherever I go, here I am! Time to let go, I have no overwhelming reason to stay, family up north a quick jet away...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 18:23   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post

It comes down to knowing that after 36 years, this won't be my "home" once I leave, maybe home is, wherever I go, here I am! Time to let go, I have no overwhelming reason to stay, family up north a quick jet away...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 18:46   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If you just can't stop would you move next to my boat lol?
Old 13-02-2016, 20:45   #11

Boat: Southcoast 36

I'm a list guy. The current to do list has something like 80 or so "projects" on it. These vary from very minor items to more major renovation work.

Maybe 20 or more of those projects are underway at the moment and being a spreadsheet geek, they get an orange colour applied to them. The completed jobs don't get removed from the list they get highlighted in green with a date when they are completed. That way it becomes a sort of maintenance log and it's encouraging to see greens growing on the list.

Before we set out on our maiden cruise a couple of years ago we probably spent six months getting ready and by the end of that I was pretty burnt out and sick of projects and the jobs that didn't need to get done just had to wait so we could get out there.

Now that we are back in port, there is a backlog to jobs to get through after the cruise but I just plug away adding to and updating the list. All I would say is Keep an eye out for project burnout and don't let minor jobs stop you from getting out there. And when we got out there, projects that seemed important before we left were not, and ones we hadn't thought of reared their heads as being necessary.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 21:19   #12

I was a Construction Project Manager on Heavy Construction and large buildings for 45 years. Got into cruising sailboats at same time. (1971) At age 76 I bought a large (42ft) cruising sailboat just to "fix it" I did! Am I a sicko?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 00:00   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

You have to evolve.

I started out with one or two projects which I would diligently work on until they were finished and I would stress out if they were not going well and getting done.

One first day of spring I took my shirt off and sat in the sun in the cockpit feeling the freedom from all the winter clothing. A gentle zephyr ruffled it's way across the harbour and drifted over me tickling every hair on my naked upper body. It came to mind that that was the most erotic experience I had had in years. Pondering upon the experience I decided that there was a lot to be had in just being, not doing or having or anything else.

That little epiphany changed my entire life, the project list blew out to about forty items in no time. However, all was not lost, I learned to let them self prioritize and now then get done in the order and time when they become uncomfortable or critical.

Perfect instance of human evolution and I have never looked back.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 01:18   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ya know what?

The OP hasn't returned!

Geoleo, lovely sense of humor, mate. I'd say welcome aboard, but you already know that!

Ann
Old 14-02-2016, 01:53   #15

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

He's too busy doing projects :-)

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project