Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 02:16   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: HELP I can't quit starting projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
I'm a list guy. The current to do list has something like 80 or so "projects" on it. These vary from very minor items to more major renovation work. ...........
Yes, I understand because I'm a "list guy" too! I usually keep my list down to about a dozen items so the carrot appears to be a little closer on the end of the stick. I still cruise and sail with my list. I find that I can be working just about anywhere. I've had my changing & updated list of boat tasks for 45 years and I always see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think I might finish next month!
Old 14-02-2016, 02:31   #17

Boat: Club Sailor; various

If sincerely asking for help this might be OCD and require a therapist or medication. If just joking around and it brings you joy what's the harm?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 04:35   #18

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Me too, I find something and dig in, but ... Finishing them is my problem although I admit I completed a few recently. The problem on a boat is that a lot of the projects in a re-fit are inter-related so to save money you wait until you have enough epoxy work to not waste the material. Start something and , sh.. don't have that specific material or enough of it (ply, wood, fasteners), so you start something else until you get what you need. It is an endless loop.

I schedule caulk jobs and wouldn't you guess the weather turns too cold or I want to varnish and it rains buckets or a two man job ends up one man short! Don't despair, a boat will fit your personality to a T.
Old 14-02-2016, 08:44   #19

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I love starting projects; it's the finishing them that kills me.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 09:41   #20

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I build a nesting dinghy to fit a spot on our foredeck. It is 1/4 " douglas fir exterior plywood. I built the frame and sheathed it in our friends garden, then took it to the marina and epoxied and glassed it on the dock. Then, on a beach in Mexico, I added a Lexan window to the bottom. Then it was so cool I added another on the other side. Now, at a marina, I have built a deck into the front half, and built a 12' sculling oar for our boat that serves as mast for the dinghy, and I am currently finishing the new centerboard well and kick up rudder. Then I intend to fashion a full canopy, like a Duffy, so we can motor or row around in comfort on sunny days. I am also planning a movable seat and another set of oars so my wife can row too if she wants. Eventually " Mint Berry Crunch" our dinghy will be the Macgivered Swiss Army knife of small craft. It keeps me busy, allows me to use all of my 18 volt Ryobi tools, and, sort of, prevents me from taking a sawzall to the mother ship too often to do bigger better remodels. I too remodeled our homes endlessly. I look forward to someday swallowing some of the anchor and building my last home. But for now the dinghy work keeps me happy.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:51   #21

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

The only way we are getting anything done is by doing the chart thing in Don Casey's "This Old Boat".

Write down all projects - ALL projects
Categorize them into 3 areas - A)safety B)comfort C) wouldn't it be nice.
Do all the "A"s and then see how you feel.

Simplified, but it's working.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 11:11   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianB View Post
No really, I mean I love our boat but everywhere I look I seesomething I want to improve, change, upgrade! Its me, not the boat as I was the same way on land....I added on or remodeled our house constantly. My wife says I have to chill out..but I keep seeing things to do! Do any of you have these issues?
A common obsession. Don't get old and see them and can't do a thing about them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 12:35   #23

Boat: Catalina 25 swing keel

I sail my boat during sailing season and do the projects during off season. Make the list sailing and as sin as it hits the hard it's off to projects. Not sure what I would do if I had a year long sailing season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rainh2o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 14:06   #24

Me too. And a list maker. I find the "important to do" project list always trumps the fun ones. I try to never have more than four unfinished at any one time.
herdering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 17:52   #25

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

I know and feel your pain all to well. I can always see some way to improve almost everything I own, and being a tool junkie only make matters worse. For some reason I feel somewhat helpless if I'm unable to fix something myself. The old phrase " The only thing that always works on a old boat is the owner" was said with me in mind.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 21:08   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I crossed out number one on my list of boat projects today!

Now number two is number one!

The carrot on the stick is still slightly out of my reach!
Old 15-02-2016, 01:00   #27

Boat: Caprice 19'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianB View Post
No really, I mean I love our boat but everywhere I look I seesomething I want to improve, change, upgrade! Its me, not the boat as I was the same way on land....I added on or remodeled our house constantly. My wife says I have to chill out..but I keep seeing things to do! Do any of you have these issues?
Me both, but not the house now - and I'm 85!
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 15:24   #28

Boat: Lots of boats.

Not that I'm cured of this ailment, but let me put this in perspective.

I bought a new house with my now ex-wife. It was the house of my dreams. I had the builder make changes to transform it into just what we wanted. I then spent a whole summer planting trees and I roto-tilled the entire yard with compost so the grass would grow. I then spent 2 years finishing the basement and added the pool table I always wanted. Then added a huge deck that resembled an aircraft carrier. Then a big fence for the dog. Built a nice shop and extra storage in the garage. Then lost the wife and kids, and then lost the home.

I now wish I hadn't spent so much time working on the house. I regret that I didn't spend that extra time on the wife and family. Projects can certainly include "honey do's", but usually they are just for us. Prioritization is the key to keeping this under control. And unless you live alone as I do now, you might want to ask for some help with this! :-)
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 00:45   #29

Boat: Caprice 19'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Not that I'm cured of this ailment, but let me put this in perspective.

I bought a new house with my now ex-wife. It was the house of my dreams. I had the builder make changes to transform it into just what we wanted. I then spent a whole summer planting trees and I roto-tilled the entire yard with compost so the grass would grow. I then spent 2 years finishing the basement and added the pool table I always wanted. Then added a huge deck that resembled an aircraft carrier. Then a big fence for the dog. Built a nice shop and extra storage in the garage. Then lost the wife and kids, and then lost the home.

I now wish I hadn't spent so much time working on the house. I regret that I didn't spend that extra time on the wife and family. Projects can certainly include "honey do's", but usually they are just for us. Prioritization is the key to keeping this under control. And unless you live alone as I do now, you might want to ask for some help with this! :-)
You're so right! Now I am a full time carer for swmbo - (Alzheimers bless her) so my 'jobs' have to be limited to two half days a week
nockerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 00:54   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockerwhite View Post
You're so right! Now I am a full time carer for swmbo - (Alzheimers bless her) so my 'jobs' have to be limited to two half days a week
Oh, nockerwhite, I hope that is not as difficult as it sounds. Old age isn't for sissies, for sure Good on you for your courage and perseverance.

Ann

Tags
project