Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2018, 09:30   #1

Boat: Hobie 16
Help analyze personal inspection findings (1 of 5)

I did a personal inspection of a 12 year old Leopard 40 prior to survey and sea trial. I read Don Casey's book and other sources on the internet relevant to boat inspections such as Marine Survey 101 and a blog from a guy who bought the same model boat and posted on things he wished he had found. I also looked at 8 other boats before this one with 3 being the same make/model/year. So I have some theoretical background and some comparison experience but not enough practical knowledge to understand whether some of the things that I saw are critical or typical. I thought it would be a good idea over the next 5 days to post 1 picture a day to get your input on the findings for my edification and as well as others perhaps.

Topic 1 - keel hull attachment

See the 2 pictures. One is from the boat that I looking at and one is from a nearby hurricane salvage boat of the same make (not the same model or year). It's pretty obvious which one is which. I took the second picture to understand the construction I was looking at.
On the boat I am looking at I tapped around the hull, keel and over that attachment line and it sounded OK - nothing hollow sounding. How concerned should I be that it's very clear where the hull/keel joint is?
(Unfortunately the 3 same make/model/year boats I looked at prior to this where in the water so no comparison pics from there.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180826_093901.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	176318   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180826_093605.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	176319  

pillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 05:24   #2

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Help analyze personal inspection findings (1 of 5)

I thought all the Leopards had sacrificial keels that are replaceable. Maybe that's a new trend as of a few years ago. Have you asked Leopard? Called them at Dania Beach?
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 07:46   #3

Boat: Hobie 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I thought all the Leopards had sacrificial keels that are replaceable. Maybe that's a new trend as of a few years ago. Have you asked Leopard? Called them at Dania Beach?
I believe you are right in that they have a sacrificial keel. I am worried about how pronounced that border is, and whether water is getting under there. Basically is it supposed to look like that or it looks like that when it's about to break off, as in that salvage boat.
pillars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 08:10   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have a similar seem between our two keels and the hull (bilge keeled mono). Every couple of years I clean it out, fill will sikaflex and antifoul over the top along with patch painting the iron keels. It isn't a problem.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 18:31   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Had a leopard 38, looked very similar but ours was faired a little better. To be sure on this area a thermal camera is extremely helpful in seeing moisture. Capt John banister from suenos azule surveying is very good at this. They are sacrificial keels. If I remember correctly the 40 is not designed to sit on her keels but the 38 and 42 can.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 13:01   #6

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillars View Post
I did a personal inspection of a 12 year old Leopard 40 prior to survey and sea trial. I read Don Casey's book and other sources on the internet relevant to boat inspections such as Marine Survey 101 and a blog from a guy who bought the same model boat and posted on things he wished he had found. I also looked at 8 other boats before this one with 3 being the same make/model/year. So I have some theoretical background and some comparison experience but not enough practical knowledge to understand whether some of the things that I saw are critical or typical. I thought it would be a good idea over the next 5 days to post 1 picture a day to get your input on the findings for my edification and as well as others perhaps.

Topic 1 - keel hull attachment

See the 2 pictures. One is from the boat that I looking at and one is from a nearby hurricane salvage boat of the same make (not the same model or year). It's pretty obvious which one is which. I took the second picture to understand the construction I was looking at.
On the boat I am looking at I tapped around the hull, keel and over that attachment line and it sounded OK - nothing hollow sounding. How concerned should I be that it's very clear where the hull/keel joint is?
(Unfortunately the 3 same make/model/year boats I looked at prior to this where in the water so no comparison pics from there.)
Email me @ SVL40Cosmos@gmail.com and i'll send you a recent pic of my 2008 L40. Keel is sacrificial and this seems like a normal spot that needs attention to keep it smooth.

Tags
inspection