Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 16:07   #31

Re: Help adding lazy jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yep. Normally, not.

Then again, imagine the lazyjack catching onto anything (say a shroud holder for a boat hook or one of those nippy shroud cleats people will use for guest flag halyards ...) and imagine the boat does the Chinese. Sure I have wild imagination but even more unlikely things did happen on boats before and will continue to happen.

Better safe than sorry.

b.
I don't have a nippy shroud cleat, or a shroud holder for a boat hook. If I'm on a long reach I vang the boom down to the rail. I know someone who ran a long line from the boom end to the bow and back to the cockpit for long downhill runs as a preventer for Chinese gybes. With swept back spreaders on my boat a vang to rail works fine if it's rolley

I'm sure there are always new and old ways for things to go wrong. That's why planes crash. I still go flying and lately quite a lot in B777 s. Three B777 s have crashed in about the last 3 years. Over some years I've also flown with at least 3 chopper pilots who have later crashed and sadly died. It's dangerous out there.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 19:06   #32

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

Fearless the pics are great!!!! pics make a thread....Stu great little tip, Thanks for the discussion guys..helps me get it....

in my old Triumph motorcycle forum..one of the guys used to post all the time; when there was no pics with a word description.....

This Thread Is Worthless Without PICTURES

thank you all
Old 29-10-2015, 19:50   #33

I don't understand why anyone would connect anything to a spreader other than a flag halyard.

Lazy jacks, to work, need to be taut, to catch the sail above the boom.

I wouldn't put that load on my sreaders or anyone elses.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 01:01   #34

Boat: Victoire 1122

The L.J. can be attached to the highest spreaders at about 15 cm from the mast. Lead them at this place trough a small block down again till deck level to fasten them there. But... also to give them so much slack that you can the Lazy Jacks throw forward to be fastened behind the reefing hooks at the front of the boom. In this way no trouble while hoisting your main and no turbulance at the main while sailing.
Take them only off the reefing hooks just before leaving the main down. No problem at all and no lines near the sail when sailing
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:08   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Horus, don't confuse the issue with a simple no brainer fix. It's just way too easy to pull the lazy jacks forward when not in use. It it's that easy, any knowledgable yachtsman knows there are way more expensive ways to to cure there non problem. Lazy Jacks only serve a purpose in dropping the sail, no need to have them deployed except doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
The L.J. can be attached to the highest spreaders at about 15 cm from the mast. Lead them at this place trough a small block down again till deck level to fasten them there. But... also to give them so much slack that you can the Lazy Jacks throw forward to be fastened behind the reefing hooks at the front of the boom. In this way no trouble while hoisting your main and no turbulance at the main while sailing.
Take them only off the reefing hooks just before leaving the main down. No problem at all and no lines near the sail when sailing
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:18   #36

Boat: Catalina 387

Yup. Mine are only deployed for a drop. Then move em back to the mast after the sail is tied on. Adds 30 sec to putting the boat away, but saved 5 min in getting the sail under control. Also useful when singlehanding as my halyard is at the mast - i.e. I walk forward, deploy the jacks, drop the main, walk back to the cockpit and get the boat in. All in all maybe 60 seconds away from the helm. And that's a good thing since the autopilot likes to run over paddleboarders.

Moving them back to the mast after drop also lets you use a 'normal' sail cover.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:37   #37

Boat: Cal 2-27

I have a bacon sails stackpack and followed advice in regards to putting the attachment point to the mast about 60% or so up the stick ...on the mast.... Knowing what I know now, I'd attach them lower if I were to do it again. Just under the spreaders, but ..on the mast..

In a slightly lower position things would not get hung up as easily when raising sail. This is just my opinion, I'm no expert.