Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 19:34   #1

Helm seat for sail boat?

I have been looking on line for a seat designed for the helm of a sail boat. Maybe something half Moon shaped so when the boat is leaning the seating angle remains the same. Something with a back and removable cushions. I can't find anything like that... Any suggestions? For the last two years I've been sitting on a milk create with a boat cushion. Well the milk crate broke last weekend and I think the boat cushion blew away. So I'm looking to replace it nice!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 20:00   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Helm seat for sail boat?

Check out Bottomsiders:

BottomSiders accessories for your boat
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 20:41   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I have been looking on line for a seat designed for the helm of a sail boat. Maybe something half Moon shaped so when the boat is leaning the seating angle remains the same. Something with a back and removable cushions. I can't find anything like that... Any suggestions? For the last two years I've been sitting on a milk create with a boat cushion. Well the milk crate broke last weekend and I think the boat cushion blew away. So I'm looking to replace it nice!

I searched long and hard for something similar, wanted gimbaled, adjustable for heel, etc. etc. Basically, there is no such item. You have to have one custom made, though I did find one or two which are no longer in production and impossible to find used. I went with a Zwaardvis in the end. Good helm seats are pricey.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 22:25   #4
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

This may be a bit crazy but here is something I want to try sometime soon - a hammock chair suspended from the bimini frame. It's about as gimbaled as it gets Of course it will only be usable in relatively nice conditions. On a rough passage you'd probably end up black and blue all over
My current helm chair is fixed which gives me back aches with relatively little heal plus it's too close to the steering for somebody tall which is very hard on the knees (which are right at the hight of the wheel lock knob)
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 07:16   #5

You know as I think about it that might not be a bad idea. They make those hammock chairs that just hang from a tree. I could make a "limb" that sticks off the mizzen mast and hang it from that. I don't know.. Maybe I'll replace the milk create with one of those bean bag chairs. I have the perfect thing in mind but alas don't possess the skills to execute it in stainless steel and teak.
Old 30-11-2013, 07:45   #6

Boat: hunter 376

What about a simple swivel seat? When heeling, you could swivel the seat to brace during your tacks.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 07:52   #7

From pictures of the boat in the past I think that is what was originally on the boat. The screw hole pattern on the base is a circle which matches a standard pedestal mount. That is my fall back option of I can't locate something more.
Old 30-11-2013, 08:09   #8

Remember that a seat suspended from above will swing you away from the wheel when HEELED.
ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 15:02   #9

Boat: Catalina 387
Mount a traveler overhead and suspend the swing seat from a car that can can be moved to the appropriate location to align you with the helm.
BMWshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 16:06   #10

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
We have a seat that is mounted to a pedestal that rotates. I simply rotate the seat to account for healing. Very comfy to be leaning back at 20 degrees.

TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote