Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2016, 13:56   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Helm Seat Cushions

My existing cushions are fading fast, but when I look for simple replacements, they effectively cost as much as a new seat. If you buy just the seat it is also the same price.

Any alternative ideas? I don't really like the original that much. The seat looks like it could go another 10-020 years (it is under a hard top). And I want something soft for the sometimes long hours.

(this is 8 years ago--it's much worse)

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 14:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler
Re: Helm Seat Cushions

You know, I think I've got the best helm seats in the world, and I got them for free. They are a pair of front seats from a junked car. They adjust fore and aft, and recline so far that the person off watch can take a nap. I've been tempted to go back and get seat belts for them, but they are buckets, and 30 degree rolls haven't resulted in anyone falling out. I built a steel frame box under them, and store life jackets and our go bag in it. My mechanic looked at them, shook his head, and said "You could have spent $500 and done much worse."

Old 07-07-2016, 16:42   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
You know, I think I've got the best helm seats in the world, and I got them for free. They are a pair of front seats from a junked car. They adjust fore and aft, and recline so far that the person off watch can take a nap. I've been tempted to go back and get seat belts for them, but they are buckets, and 30 degree rolls haven't resulted in anyone falling out. I built a steel frame box under them, and store life jackets and our go bag in it. My mechanic looked at them, shook his head, and said "You could have spent $500 and done much worse."
Pretty funny that the seats for a Honda FIT are light years ahead of the helm on the average $500K boat. But alas, they are not waterproof. In fact, the best seat I won, including all of my home furniture, is in my Mazda.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 18:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

Amen. I've used a boat that has a helm seat like Thinwater's, and kept slipping around on it. No back support, either. I wonder if they make truely waterproof seat covers, or waterproof seats for roadsters. My Mazda RX8 seats are vastly superior to the big leather recliner I'm sitting in right now. Come to think of it, there are molded plastic seats for race cars on the market. They would not recline, but they should hold you in place and support your back.
Old 07-07-2016, 19:08   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thinwater,

You could look at ergonomic designs that you think would work, and then hire an upholsterer to make one for you. Avoid piping (the stitch holes will admit moisture).
PVC is best welded for waterproof-ness, although you might be able to build or have built a waterproof "raincoat" for whatever you end up with.

Tags
cushions, helm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: