Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 06:25   #1

Hello all. Great Forum. I have a keel issue after grounding

I own an Intro 22 yacht.

I bought it (and am still paying for it) in Feb 2013. I unfortunately had a grounding incident in June on a mud bank in the thames on a falling tide. we were towed off sideways and this snapped the rudder off and thus lost the rudder at mud/water line.

I had a quick rudder made (which needs replacing as its heavy) and kept the yacht in the water until end of November early December ish. I never noticed any water in the bilge area.

I changed jobs recently twice so didn't have much of a chance to go to the club, finally did recently. noticed I have cracking where the keel joins/meets the hull as well as a crack to the left of the keel on the inside where the bolts are in the bilge. theres also a large crack through the center of the beam the previous owner put at the back of the keel area.

due to lack of money and that im still paying for the yacht im scared about the damage.

yacht pic taken last year-

here is the external / internal cracking-

http://i.imgur.com/gnlM1o1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MaeSeYd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SCjGKSL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a26Ii4J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lEawaQh.jpg

Inside bilge area=

http://i.imgur.com/0ozfQKJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VbERL16.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6LqIUxH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/En2GElA.jpg
WYSIWYG-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:47   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Hello all. Great Forum. I have a keel issue after grounding

Id suggest a survey, have you the boat insured?

dave
Old 09-04-2014, 06:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Id suggest a survey, have you the boat insured?

dave

yes, its on basic insurance and I didn't inform the company about the grounding (if this is caused by when that happened)

I have asked a local surveyor to look this sunday.

I am so very worried and scared about the outcome
WYSIWYG-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:57   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Firstly I would inform the insurance, even if you don't claim. The danger is you could invalidate any future insurance by not informing them. ( simply claim you underestimated the issue in relation to the keel)

The external cracking may not be the issue, its the damage to the keel bearers that will be the issue. The external cracking may just in effect be the antifouling breaking.

If there is bearer damage then it will be an assessment of whats needed. which could be remedial or require removal and re glassing in of new bearers. Simply leaving it be, will cause the keel to work the crack.

see what the surveyor says then talk to a grp repair expert. The fact that the towing snapped the rudder must indicate a fair force was used!

dave
Old 09-04-2014, 08:30   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Yeah, that's a bad one. What would really concern me is that it looks like someone with very little experience has already spent some time in your bilge with a grinder and some resin. Are you sure the damage wasn't already there when you bought the boat, and the PO covered it up with some fresh bottom paint? Because it sure looks like somebody knew about this issue and tried to do something about it to me. See how somebody ground off all the coatings around that bolt head? Someone exposed all the damage, and then just gave up and resin coated it, is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	79065  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:01   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I noticed the double chine - what was the hull built with?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:54   #7

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

racking on the outside is hard to judge. Most boats with fin keels (like yours) will have cracking where the keel meets the hull and it is not structural. However, the photos of the interiour are, i'm afraid quite worrying to my semi-trained eye. I am not an expert but i have seen and helped to repair two very similar problems to the one you have now. Unfortunately, your keel is not extensively supported (not encased in glass and not bolted into any transverse stringers). Judging by the discolouration around the cracks, they are not superficial. The black is caused by water ingress. When the water gets in there it becomes acidic and slowly eats into the glass further over time. I think its been like that for a while...........

Unfortunately i think your only option (other than saying 'bugger it' and going sailing with the risk of the keel falling off - not pretty) is probably to grind back that crack extensively from the inside to really expose it and see just how far it goes, then do a proper structural repair. Personally i would add in a stringer or two and really beef it up. Doing it from the inside will make the repair easier but if it's deep then you will have to go both ways and do it in stages. You don't want the keel falling off in the yard, or pushing up into the boat if the weight of the boat is sitting on it!

If you don't feel confident making an assessment yourself (presumably you don't otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place!) then find a GOOD person who you trust, otherwise they might just be looking for work and tell you it's buggered even if it isn't!
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 13:15   #8

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yeah, that's a bad one...
This.

A good surveyor will be able to assess the damage and recommend a viable repair procedure.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 16:08   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I have to agree with Minaret (no big deal, he knows far more about this than I!) The broken timber at the aft end of the keel is also an indication of a less than professional repair.

You have every reason to feel scared, 'cause IMO the vessel needs a proper repair, not something cobbled together, to fix her. Good if the surveyor you use has personal experience of what's entailed.

Good luck with it, mate. After all the dust is settled, you'll probably feel glad that the boat has become sound, and for the lessons learned.

Ann
Old 10-04-2014, 07:54   #10

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

The reason I asked about the hull material is that if it is glass over ply, there may be more than grinding and re-laminating...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:26   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
The reason I asked about the hull material is that if it is glass over ply, there may be more than grinding and re-laminating...

A LOT more.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, rum