Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-09-2012, 12:52   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43- Demeter
Re: Hella Fans Caframo Fans Brushless Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We have fitted and removed most including the cage less caframo fans ...

Tried out some with no moving parts ...

No type of fan is 'doing it for us' and we are finally going the full air con route.

However and sadly (due to price) the Hella fans are simply the best ... a bit noisy but air beats noise on those hot sticky nights!

Today I was in the marine shop at Tortola ... yeah ... US$99 for a Hella ... crazy, but definitely the best air we get from a fan! I'm one of those guys who will curse myself on an unbearably, hot and wind free night at anchor for not having spent the extra bucks ... I suffer from heat which is why I bought and tossed the fans mentioned in previous posts on cruisers forum!

Another boat running gen set and air conditioning in Caribbean? Here's hoping your install is a quiet one.

Old 04-09-2012, 22:16   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Another boat running gen set and air conditioning in Caribbean? Here's hoping your install is a quiet one.
Hi SV Demeter ... in fact my install will be SUPER QUIET whilst you sleep at night as we will be running air without the genset! Done a lot of homework on this one for that reason ...

impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 22:44   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Hi SV Demeter ... in fact my install will be SUPER QUIET whilst you sleep at night as we will be running air without the genset! Done a lot of homework on this one for that reason ...
I would seriously love details of this
PM me if you wish
Thanks
Old 04-09-2012, 22:48   #34

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
I'm one of those guys who will curse myself on an unbearably, hot and wind free night at anchor for not having spent the extra bucks ..
I reckon I will be as well
Went today and looked at this very sweet sounding Genset but reality is it is just to large for my needs.
Bloody steal at that price though
Old 05-09-2012, 01:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I would seriously love details of this
PM me if you wish
Thanks
Unfortunately no great mystery ... I was consulting my mate Andrew on his Catamaran 'Champolion' who runs his air conditioning (1 x 12000BTU) without a genset and totally relies on his Lead Crystal batteries which are charged by his 60AH solar panels array. He demonstrated start up and run ... cabin cooled within minutes.

In the end I opted for a system which starts out using the genset to 'top up' batteries in the afternoon IF THE SOLAR PANELS (mine push about 45-50AH) have not filled the batteries.

Assuming batteries are not totally full and I need the genset to 'top off', we will start out driving 2 x 16000 BTU and 1 X 5000BTU into the 'Owner cabin' (large cabin) where we sleep ... at the same time charging batteries viz. the 2 x Victron inverters (240AH)... max 1 hour will be required ... shut down the genset as well as 2 x 16000BTU's and maintain air (which is now cold) using the 5000BTU (230V) which runs at 2.2 ah AC (aprox.47ah DC on 12V House batteries) viz the inverters. (we are setting up the aircons to direct air to any part of the boat at full capacity or shared capacity ... you can imagine how quickly our cabin will cool with an initial burst of 37000BTU.

Once we have determined it works, we will be changing our house banks to liquid crystal batteries (since we can run deeper into the battery capacity without doing harm to the batteries) ... unlike our exide gels which do not want to be under 60% charge.

We have just placed the order for the units through Just Catamarans in Florida...

Once we have done the install, we are looking to purchase and install the MES 4000BTU which 'MAINTAINS' cool air at 18 ah. We are keen to do this more as a 'test' for ourselves as if then successful, will swap out the 5000BTU to another cabin in the boat (not often utilized) and rely on the 4000MES to cycle cool air during the night whilst we sleep.

Since we have the 'owners version cabin' in our boat, we are having to install a 'slide away' curtain where the 'bedroom archway' becomes the 'sitting area'. Ana hates the idea of a curtain which is visible, so I am having to have it made in a way where it slides out of sight and out of mind during the day.

We hope to keep cool air circulating around the area where we sleep ... the unit being installed under our bed.

At this stage, the ONLY reason I have opted for the 5000 230V system over the MES 4000 12V system (for 'overnight maintenance') is due to the fact that it seems to still be a 'complex system' running 3 compressors which systematically shut down as the air cools eventually maintaining air utilizing only 1 compressor at 18 ah DC.

Can't wait for these units to arrive
Old 05-09-2012, 01:21   #36

... sorry ... getting ahead of myself ... meant Lead crystal batteries, not liquid crystal
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37   #37

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
... sorry ... getting ahead of myself ... meant Lead crystal batteries, not liquid crystal
Very interesting?

Just Catamarans recently did install of upmarket LIFEO4 batteries in Cat. Don't want to derail this thread. Perhaps a new thread?

AmpHRs/Cost?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Very interesting?

Just Catamarans recently did install of upmarket LIFEO4 batteries in Cat. Don't want to derail this thread. Perhaps a new thread?

AmpHRs/Cost?
That's interesting ... have not covered the battery angle with Kent yet ... going on what I see on Andrews boat 'Champolion'. I think the link is http://www.deltecpower.co.za/sites/d...20Brochure.pdf

I have some questions that need answering though!

Perhaps another thread as you suggest?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: