Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2011, 05:25   #1

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch
Heat - What Works, What Doesn't ?

Its gettin fricken cold out there! I wanna know:

1) What you use
2) how much boat it heats
3) how much you're spending on fuel
4) pros and cons
5) are your toes warm?

I have a Sig Marine 180 diesel heater in the salon. When at the dock I also use 2 portable electric heaters. When on the hook I use a propane tent heater in my aft cabin and if necessary sleep in -20ºc sleeping bag. I find the Sig 180 does OK by itself down to 0ºc but lacks the ability to deal with freezing temperatures to my liking. I'm considering pulling the Sig in favor of a Little cod woodstove. I'd like to hear from anyone who's had one.

Aye aye, and good bye
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 05:37   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Heat! What works, what doesn't?

The catalytic propane tent heaters throw off H2O as a by-product. That will create a lot of extra condensation in the cabin (not good). They're OK for occasional use but not a full time solution. You need outside-vented or electric heat sources.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 05:40   #3

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The catalytic propane tent heaters throw off H2O as a by-product. That will create a lot of extra condensation in the cabin (not good). They're OK for occasional use but not a full time solution. You need outside-vented or electric heat sources.
Cooking with propane throws off a ton of moisture as well but the diesel heater takes care of it
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 06:22   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnutts! View Post
Its gettin fricken cold out there! I wanna know:

1) What you use
2) how much boat it heats
3) how much you're spending on fuel
4) pros and cons
5) are your toes warm?

I have a Sig Marine 180 diesel heater in the salon. When at the dock I also use 2 portable electric heaters. When on the hook I use a propane tent heater in my aft cabin and if necessary sleep in -20ºc sleeping bag. I find the Sig 180 does OK by itself down to 0ºc but lacks the ability to deal with freezing temperatures to my liking. I'm considering pulling the Sig in favor of a Little cod woodstove. I'd like to hear from anyone who's had one.

Aye aye, and good bye

I am docked in a marina, so I have AC electric. I use a SMALL (less than 1' sq) ceramic heater, and it works well to temps of 45. It is not expensive to operate. If I were to sail overnight in the winter I'd just get a good sleeping bag.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 06:24   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

There is a solution to cold weather.
Old 15-11-2011, 06:46   #6

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

Having lived in the Pacific NW with it's cold-rainy-snowy-foggy-and partial sunny weather, our problem with keeping a warm boat was condensation. The hatches and windows would drip endlessly till my wife found a great solution (and cheap). We purchased the window shrink-wrap that you install and use a hairdryer to shrink it so it fits very tighlyt. I'm sure you can find this at any hardware store. Be sure not to make the inside so airtight you don't have any fresh air coming in. Springtime we would remove the wrap. Now, we're in tropic Panama and the problem is mold! If it's not one thing it's another... time to get the vinegar out..again.