Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 14:13   #1

Headlining corners?? - Best way to do it?? can i use floor Lyno??

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice again.

Current scenario: Purchased a boat and the Aft cabin ceiling & sides had been stripped and not remade - rest of the boat great but Aft cabin needs all the headlining put back in, the aft cabin roof is the width of the boat but has the cockpit floor sunken into it so a little like looking at half an H shape that needs covered

Boat is a 37ft GRP Sloop with a aft cockpit age about 1984 ish.

I have attached wood slats to the underneath of the fibreglass to strengthen the cockpit area as it was flexing a bit which has actually worked well.

I understand I probably now need to make some panels out of ply wood to strengthen it further and attach these to the wood slats i have added.

My confusion is.... how do i do the corners?... how do I get a smooth corner around the internal base of the cockpit? I would rather be able to remove the paneling if required incase of any leaks etc.. so was keen on putting the plywood paneling up with velcro.. but when I have corners my plywood isn't going to bend around them. i would rather not make up fibreglass corners to fit in as this sounds an awful lot of work and I don't have a workshop on or near the yacht and have never really worked with fibreglass before either..

(never panelled out a boat cabin before either so there is a first for everything)

Ive looked over the internet a bit but haven't found anything really relevant to what i need, you tube, google etc...

What are your views on using Kitchen lyno attached to plywood?? - this could make a nice corner i belive if i put the plywood up with velcro and then attached white lyno to the plywood with glue all over- I'm thinking then i can take it all down if required.. Any views?? - If I'm not making myself clear just say and I will try and explain further.

Thanks for any views..
zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 19:36   #2

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Headlining corners?? - Best way to do it?? can i use floor Lyno??

If you want a hard liner, think about using door skin, it's thin and can bend a lot. I don't like the shiny of Lino.
If you want a soft liner.
Wood battens are good, for the cross bracing on the outside of the liner,and can also be use as an internal framework for hanging liners, and trimming edges.
Corners use a solid block shaped to the corner and any radius.
Then add the straight strips of Batten to fit the sides and terminate at the wood blocks.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 00:29   #3

Re: Headlining corners?? - Best way to do it?? can i use floor Lyno??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
If you want a hard liner, think about using door skin, it's thin and can bend a lot. I don't like the shiny of Lino.
If you want a soft liner.
Wood battens are good, for the cross bracing on the outside of the liner,and can also be use as an internal framework for hanging liners, and trimming edges.
Corners use a solid block shaped to the corner and any radius.
Then add the straight strips of Batten to fit the sides and terminate at the wood blocks.

Thanks for the heads up, will have look into Door Skin further, I was starting to think to get round the corners I may have to fibreglass it which sounds a very messy job while lying on your back in an aft cabin.

Se the thing is I found quite a Mat white floor lyno, but my worry is it may warp and sag in the sun / hot climates.. would have ben great round a L shape angle corner but probably not very neat around a 3 point corner..

Will see what i can find online about Deerskin.

Thanks again
zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:20   #4

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Headlining corners?? - Best way to do it?? can i use floor Lyno??

I'm not sure of your layout, but if you've used stringers to stiffen the cockpit floor, potentially you could use those same stringers to screw battens to help hold up the center areas of the headliner, or screws then trim caps over the screws.
Local hardware stores have screw trim caps, auto parts stores, and chain mega stores like lowes or home depot also.
Door skin is just 1/8" faced ply, but easily bends, it also takes paint,staining and you could glue veneer to it.
Often it is in 3x7' lengths, getting a full 4x8 sheet seems harder.

Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head