Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 12:01   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Headliner Material What To Use

it is time in the process of my refit to replace all of the headliner- i would really like to go with some type of hard panels as opposed to the cloth that i currently have. Also i would like to put some type of insulation in to assist with keeping the boat cool- any ideas for material for both? there is about a 2 inch gap between the present headliner and the deck.-- the boat is a gulfstar 51. Any pic of similar projects would be appreciated - particularly the system used to mount the panels securely etc. Thanks
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:14   #2

Re: Headliner Material What To Use

wow, 2" gap. Lots of options for you! I'd probably use that pink or blue construction foam available as 4 x 8 sheets etc at the lumber yard. The other option is that "nylon" like packing foam... usually dark blue or white. Probably not as good a insulator but easy to bend.
Often Battens (plywood strips partially sawed on one side to allow bending) can be used to attach hard panels. These are usually glued/bondo'd etc to the overhead athwartships with some glassed on additional tabs every foot or so. Then you can screw the panels on the strips.
Spacing the strips for good use of panel sizes is important and you will then need to make teak (or?) trim strips to cover the seams. Not a small project.
There are "formica" like covered ply panels available that might work well. Not really marine stuff though. Although I think they are meant for damp environments.
I did one boat with 3" wide varnished white cedar strips running fore and aft. The advantage of narrow strips over panels is to get at deck hardware, wiring etc, you just have to remove a strip or two..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:16   #3

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have used regular tile board from most any big box store like Lowes. I have some in process pics at Main Cabin | Sailing Vessel Vigah
It really depends how your ceiling is fixed into place. Mine is by stringer strips screwed into place. Relatively easy access.

It is very inexpensive and easy to cut. As for insulation perhaps silver bubble sheets. Not much, but perhaps better than nothing. It comes in rolls and can be cut with a knife.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:21   #4

There are a few Great video's on YouTube on installing a new headliner & insulation. Search: boat headliner
bankerboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:30   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Epoxy in strips/wedges for screw strips and to eliminate any compound curves and screw in white embossed frp panels (about $50.00 for a 4x8 sheet at Home Depot when I last looked).

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

what would you secure the blue foam to the underside of the deck with?
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:48   #7

I can't find my pics of it but I used the vinyl bead board strip sections you can get from home depot. Just screwed them in with SS screws and covered those with the white caps to finish. Easy to clean, impervious and not expensive. Also easy to remove and or replace when needed. There was a thread on this awhile back so it should be find able and there were pics in it.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
what would you secure the blue foam to the underside of the deck with?
I'd probably just use a stripe of contact cement here and there. Once the panels are on it's held. or even Liquid Nails etc...
Yeah... I've thought of those vinyl bead board panels too.... might be great...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:53   #9

Found one

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426103625394.jpg
Views:	2226
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	98721  
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:57   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

I like foamed PVC panels (found relatively cheaply in the sign industry) for the overhead. Usually use 1/8". Light, cleans easily, works easily (for cutting around all those finicky odd shapes boats have).

Not an endorsement (especially as to price), but you can see what I mean here:

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p...pvc_sheets/342
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:36   #11

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Home Depot has sheet foam that can be covered with marine vinyl and glued on the back side. Glue velcro strips to the back and bats on the roof. Easy to remove, no screws showing, and great insulation. A friend did the same but backed the foam 1/2" insulation board with mahogany door skins glued together and then stapled the velcro to the door skin. Told me later he would for go the door skin if he did it again.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Found one

I like that solution for the boat enviroment
Easy to work, good looks and cleaning and cheap
Old 12-03-2015, 10:04   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

I like composite aluminium signwriting panel. It is used on out door signs and is two gloss white painted aluminium surfaces with a plastic core. The whole panel is about 3mm thick. I just attach it with stainless steel pan head screws and it takes a compound curve pretty well. It has a nice smooth surface that is easy to clean.
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:33   #14

Have a look at something called soft floor. They make children's play mats from it. Comes in jigsaw like pieces and I have used it as side cladding on my last boat. It seems durable and gives some insulation and is solid but springy and held in place as side cladding with very little adhesive but will stick, drill, screw or whatever. Comes in a variety of colours or wood or carpet effect. Seagypsy ketch.
Seagypsy ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 13:24   #15

Boat: Newport 41

Good Old Boat had a article last month on replacing the headliner in a Islander 36 with Fiberglass reinforced board bought at Home Depot or Lowes, I will be following it to do the headliner in my Newport 41
Rumlater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headliner