Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2010, 09:37   #31

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
headlining

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
On our Endeavour 40 the headliner is a vinyl stapled to thin plywood that is then screwed into the deck overhead. Of course after 25 years it is pretty nasty. I have removed several pieces in order to rewire, and have decieded to change it out. I figure the plywood adds up a bit in weight while giveing no insulation or sound barrier. So I have a large roll of ultraleather, in a light shade of cream. I Figured on gluing it to sheets of closed cell foam, or polyeithelene foam, and then using a hook and loop type to secure it to the over head. Maybe a screw or two if needed. The idea would be to 1) cut weight 2) allow easy access 3) add thermal and sound insulation 4) dress up the cabin a bit.
Any reasons this is not a good idea? I have read thru the forums on headliners, but not seem anything like the question I have....
Thanks,
Bob
Great idea closed sell foam better insulation you can get some nice colours and the hook and loop idea is brilliant.Good luck
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 10:28   #32
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
The pvc foam board will hold staples for attaching and stretching fabric. It will also take glues that would melt the insulating foam. On up to 1/2" thickness I can run through industrial sewing machine.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 11:42   #33
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Sarafina, there is no need to cover the frp panels with anything. Make templates out of cardboard and cut and sand to fit. I predrill slightly oversize holes where I want the screws/plastic cupwashers/snap on covers, have someone help me hold the panel in place and then drill through the panel with the appropriate size bit, install a few screws to hold it up and then drill and install the rest. The advantage to the frp is that it will never sag, and unlike cloth or vinyl, any mold that develops can be easirly cleaned off. The panels are also, of course, easily removable and will cover additional wires.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 12:36   #34

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob kingsland View Post
90% of the website was done from film, not digital, but I have a much better digital record of more recent work now... just have to get to it.
Wouldn't take long to post a few right here, Bob!
We're waiting...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 13:44   #35
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Sarafina, there is no need to cover the frp panels with anything.

Brad
Yeah, I get that, but our boat is a 67 and is pretty traditional on the inside. I am a fuss budget about interior design and colour really want the warmth and richness of the ultra suede where there isn't wood in the vberth. I am thinking about using the creamy toned frp to do the main cabin. The ceiling is wood with a cloudy clear fiberglass layer over it, but the hull and bulkhead are really nasty ancient paint that won't scrape or sand smooth and would have to be totally stripped to repaint. I think fitting the ftp would be worth the trouble for the nice clean finish we would get. I would need to figure out how to deal with the ports.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 12:03   #36

Re: Headliner Idea - Thoughts?

I have a 1979 Columbia 10.7 cruiser. The original headliners are old and need replacing. I removed the old vinyl that was suspended and replaced it with panels of Luan board that i covered with a 30 year self adhesive outdoor sign vinyl. it looks great and is easy to clean and durable.

I glued 1/2 inch furring strips to the cabin ceiling and attached the panels to the strips with stainless screws and finish washers....

Also.. I had to make templates for each panel especially the ones on each end of the cabin ceiling which had many curves angles and notches etc..

I used a 14 guage bare wire and ran it around the corners etc, bending into and around each corner etc.
The result was a wire template that perfectly mimicked the corners and angles etc.
I layed that down onto the Luan board and spray painted over it. When I lifted the wire template, I had the exact outline of the new headliner panel. I cut that and attached the vinyl...
keywest0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 12:04   #37

Head in the Clouds... Toes in the Sand... Sun in my Face.. Drink in my Hand...
keywest0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 12:51   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, keywest0.

See also ➥ http://messingaboutintheboat.blogspo...placement.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 13:06   #39

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Headliner Idea - Thoughts ?

I bought 4x8 sheets of corrugated sign material (looks like plastic cardboard). I measured and cut the material to fit my overhead panels then used spray headliner adhesive to attach the new headliner. I attached the finished panels to the overhead using SS screws with decorative washers.
Old 15-10-2011, 19:45   #40

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
No headliner. Simplicity, visibility, accessibility, light weight.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 23:59   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by keywest0 View Post
I have a 1979 Columbia 10.7 cruiser. The original headliners are old and need replacing. I removed the old vinyl that was suspended and replaced it with panels of Luan board that i covered with a 30 year self adhesive outdoor sign vinyl. it looks great and is easy to clean and durable.

I glued 1/2 inch furring strips to the cabin ceiling and attached the panels to the strips with stainless screws and finish washers....

Also.. I had to make templates for each panel especially the ones on each end of the cabin ceiling which had many curves angles and notches etc..

I used a 14 guage bare wire and ran it around the corners etc, bending into and around each corner etc.
The result was a wire template that perfectly mimicked the corners and angles etc.
I layed that down onto the Luan board and spray painted over it. When I lifted the wire template, I had the exact outline of the new headliner panel. I cut that and attached the vinyl...
Welcome to the forum keywest0.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 05:02   #42

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by keywest0
Pics please! ;-)

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 17:06   #43

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Headliner Idea - Thoughts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallum View Post
This thin-panel/strip system is pretty much what they use on all the Swans. I'll be replacing the headliner of mine with the same next month.
How is the headliner attached and is it easy to remove and replace? I may be replacing my traveler and old B&G instruments.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headliner