Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 06:47   #1

Boat: SV Quiet Passage
Headliner Adhesive

The headliner, appears to be vinyl, in the forward cabin is peeling off and needs to be re-glued. This attaches directly to the fiberglass with no insulation. Does anyone have a recommendation for a glue type/brand to use?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Alan Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 07:05   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hey Allen...Not 4 days ago I just asked my carpet guy doing our motorhome were getting ready to sell about this...He was contouring carpet around the wheel wells and fire wall with contact cement so I asked about headliners in boats myself....he said the stuff from 3M was very good.

When I told him I already tried that myself with horrible results, he asked me point blank if I cleaned and prepped the fiberglass down to a finish clean enough for auto body paint.

Well I had to answer NO!...I had left old glue and all kinds of sin under there to hide..

He said there in lies your problem...it has to be that clean or it will fall off like what happened to me.

The only other thing I thought about doing was glueing in some 1/2 closed cell foam with a more structual adheasive like outdoor carpet adheasive...That would give you a nice clean surface to start over with....and some insulation/condensation relief as well..

I was/am already way upside down in that boat rebuild so I have just sold it as is....but I think it would work....Trying to clean off all that old glue overhead like that would be a killer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3M trim adhisieve.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	18612  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 07:27   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We replaced the headliners in our fore and aft heads with a vinyl material with a soft "fuzzy" backing material in '06. The adheasive that worked for us was:

This is the material that is used to attach vinyl tops to automobiles and it seems to work very well, even here in the southwest Florida heat of summer.

The most difficult task was removing the old adheasive and debris from the old liner from the underside of the decking. 3M adheasive cleaner did the job but be sure to wear a mask rated for VOC's and be sure to use fresh filters in the mask.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 07:46   #4

Thank you both, I'll be sure to clean the old gunk off first.

Cheers.
Old 23-08-2010, 07:57   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Welch View Post
Thank you both, I'll be sure to clean the old gunk off first.

Cheers.
Post some before and after picks...Id love to see how it all turns out for you.... and Good luck!

For sure get at least one set of extra hands for the glue up as well.... two would be even better..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 08:53   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Remember that both products above are "contact cements". That means that once contact occurs, it is stuck there. Spray the ceiling and fabric is small sections so that it can be applied smoothly.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 05:38   #7

You guys are great, thanks very much.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:23   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
A trick I used to ensure the alignment of the material was to apply small patches of double stick tape to the underside of the deck that allowed me to place the liner material "dry". The liner could then be rolled back and adheasive sprayed on the underside of the deck and the exposed edge of the material. Once that "tacked up" the liner material could be rolled back into place and hard rolled flat with a small wooden wall paper roller. It was a tedious process, particularly with a mask on (a necessity!) but it worked and the small patches of double stick tape, left in place, made no difference to the finished product.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 12:30   #9

Excellent tip. Fortunately, the liner is still partially attached so this may not be needed as it is already "aligned. But anyone else reading this post can use that information.
Old 24-08-2010, 17:56   #10

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I've used 3M water based contact cement. No dangerous fumes, and there is no tendency to soften the vinyl. More expensive, but you don't use as much.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, headliner