Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 09:45   #16
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I surprised no one has mentioned (unless I missed it) using TP made for RV heads. I buy the more expensive 2 ply and have never had a problem, either on my older electric head with a Lectra/San or my current vacu-flush. I have NEVER used normal household TP in any system, RV, boat or porta-potti.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:29   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Because it is most likely no different to normal household paper, but is 10x more expnesive because it is "marine".

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I would add my $0.02 here and say that I too am not impressed with my basic Jabsco. I'd tell you specifically what I think of it, but that kind of language belongs IN the toilet!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:03   #19
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Because it is most likely no different to normal household paper, but is 10x more expnesive because it is "marine".
Actually, if you stick it in water and watch it disolve, you'll see it's definitely different from household paper. It's made from pulp with much shorter strands and less durable binding agents. It also isn't as strong as household paper. To use it requires a delicate touch.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 13:22   #20

Boat: Norseman 447
We Have two Blakes Lavac and use whatever TP we like with no problems, I like fact that they use a standard Henderson MK 5 bilge pump with spares available anywhere, had one seat crack after 20 yrs and replacement wasn't cheap but wouldn't reccomend any other
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 17:00   #21
cruiser

Hook a big plastic 1 1/2 inch Henderson pump to your existing head outlet on the base , hook the intake to the inlet on the bowl, then glue closed cell foam to the bottom of the lid and the seat to make them airtight when you sit on them and Voila, you have a lavac equivalent.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 17:11   #22
cruiser

I have one of these things:

Baby Blake Deluxe Toilet - Mailspeed Marine

...except mine's 100% electric. I guess they are made by Lavac also??

I had no idea how expensive these heads were.... WOW! Looks like it cost some previous owner almost as much as my car!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 17:21   #23
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I suspect you'd find that it might be difficult to maintain the appropriate vacuum with a ring of closed cell foam. Perhaps after some experimentation with the air bleed on the 1 1/2 inch hose and different gasket materials you could achieve the same results (although I for one wouldn't want closed cell foam on the interior of the head for reasons of hygiene). I'm also less than confident that you would get the correct amount of water coming in by hooking up the water intake line directly into the bowl. You could leave the old 'pump' there as decoration, I guess.

However, you could also buy a new Lavac head with air bleed and a proper gasket for a reasonable amount of money and forget about reinventing the wheel.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 19:28   #24

Boat: "Piscator"
Skipper for me, would consider a Groco and have heard good things about Lavac but no personal experience. Cruising customers come into WM all summer long looking for Jabsco rebuild kits for one or two year old boats so their vacation isn't ruined. In fact, we just got back from a charter down south and, sure enough, they had to put a new pump assembly on the Jabsco before we pushed off the dock because it was leaking back from the holding tank. I do understand Jabsco has just started shipping upgraded models with some improvements.

I too have heard the rumor about being able to flush a coat through the Skipper.
Old 14-03-2008, 21:41   #25
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
The Lavac Popular and Zenith models are reasonably priced - even the electric flush model. A couple of years ago when defender were carrying them, they were available from about $280.00 to around $450.00 for an electric flush, as I recall.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 22:52   #26

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel View Post
Hook a big plastic 1 1/2 inch Henderson pump to your existing head outlet on the base , hook the intake to the inlet on the bowl, then glue closed cell foam to the bottom of the lid and the seat to make them airtight when you sit on them and Voila, you have a lavac equivalent.
Brent
You could just sit on it to provide the seal and it would literally suck the S##T out of you. Good remedy for constipation.
Old 17-03-2008, 01:19   #27

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
I prefer a composting toilet. No pumps required. Nature Loo | Composting Toilets and Grey Water Treatment
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:40   #28

speaking about TP ...

last time used wet wipes by SANO (Israel);
very hygienic low space requirements
unlike other brands, are water-dissolvable
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:55   #29

We have an "airhead" composting toilet and I've seen a "Nature's head" composting toilet. The Nature's head was bigger- like a land toilet. The Airhead is smaller. I just dumped the compost for the first time and it was a non-event after 3 years (only recently full time use).

It separates the solids from the liquids and you dump the liquids. It fills about every 2 days for a couple and you can buy an extra liquids tank.

No more smell, no more holding tank, no more hoses, no need for thru-hull openings.
Old 29-01-2009, 09:02   #30

I simply can't believe that there are folks out there with heads that they won't allow anything other than human waste to enter. Talk about 'camping'. And this on some rather nice expensive boats.

Get a LAVAC. The supplied Henderson Mark5 external diagraph pump will pass a tennis shoe...AND if it does ever get clogged the face plate removes with a 1/4 turn and exposes the diagraph. The head itself has NO moving parts other than the seat and the lid. It uses vacuum to suck in seawater when the seat and lid are down via a seal. Lift the lid and it dry pumps.

I had a GROCO and got real tired of the shitty little piston pump needing to be rebuilt every couple of years.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote