Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2005, 12:04   #1

Have water in the bilge, LEAK? But where?

I have a Jeanneau 51 with multiple water tanks. One day I noticed a large volume of water in the bilge. It tasted fresh, sorta? My boat is in the ocean (salt) so i figured it was a water tank leak, but which one(s) I have 8! They along with the plumming are hopelessly buried under floorboards, permanebnt furniture and my galley. Oh great, this is a night mare. How to find the leaking tank? I am cheap and lazy. I am not going to tear up my boat to test each tank., and since I have 8, I can afford to bipass a couple. but how to find which one(s)

Solution:

I simply used "food coloring". One color for every two tanks( in my boat the rear tanks use one filler, the middle starboard uses one filler and the other side uses one and the forward two tanks use a single filler. Blue, red, green and yellow. I topped off the tanks with coloring added and waited. The offending tank(s) would soon purge their new colored water into the bilge leaving a colorful trail to follwo or at least a good ide where to look closer. Sure enough, I started to see blueish water in one part of the bilge. And to my hearts discontent, then some green water coming from another area into the bilge! I was then able to narrow down which tanks these colors represented and , in my case I simply bipassed their filler tubes as the tanks were too burried to extract. Keep in mind a leak can be on the top of a tank which means it will only leak a little when full, or more if the leak is lower. Hope this method might help.
myblueheaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge