Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 19:09   #1

Boat: hunter 376
pirate Haulouts from hell?

Just wanted to put a little bottom paint on. Simple. Zip across False Creek to Granville Island. 200, maybe 300 feet. tops. First thing, start leaving the slip, get about half way out, then realize something is wrong... boat is sluggish, almost hit the boat next to us, finally got it out, but it just doesn't want to go, so we head to the public dock. It finally begins to respond, so we dock the boat, then decide to go for our haulout. Wife hits dock when departing leaving a nice scratchy mark on the hull. We haul out, and its apparent the prop was overgrown with marine growth. We also knock a basketball size clump of mussels from the knotmeter wheel. As per yard rules, we tape off the hull with plastic wrap just as it begins pouring rain. we only have one day to get the prep work done since we have a couple family members available on that day only.
Rain? It freakin' POURED. Now we're inside the plastic "tent" sanding toxic bottom paint, while water is pouring in from everywhere. We get soaked, the sandpaper is soaked, we take breaks outside the tent to remove respirators and get even wetter. The blue dust soon turns to blue paste, and we have it in our hair, feet, hands, even on the white part of the hull.
When we finally finished we all have parking tickets. Apparently, on Granville Island, you can't park in a three hour spot for 3 hours, leave, return an hour later, and park in another three hour spot elsewhere.
When we went for a beer break, we were asked if we were in a "smurf show." Replied we were a new music group call the "almost blue man group." Sigh.
I'll be splashing in a day or two, wonder if I can get the damn thing 300 feet back to my slip without any misadventures. Half this board crosses the damn Pacific with less trouble than I have getting across False Creek.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 19:12   #2

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Haulouts from hell?

That all sounds normal to me.
Old 28-04-2013, 20:08   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

AHH ! the wonderfulness of doing your own boat work !! Seems like just about every other haul out go's like this for us LOL don't feel to bad, we all have those days, weeks, even more sometimes LOL Keep a square jaw, and a handy hammer as my old daddy youst to tell me!!
Old 28-04-2013, 20:11   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
AHH ! the wonderfulness of doing your own boat work !! Seems like just about every other haul out go's like this for us LOL don't feel to bad, we all have those days, weeks, even more sometimes LOL Keep a square jaw, and a handy hammer as my old daddy youst to tell me!!

Sometimes the "pros" don't do any better.

I had my boat surveyed and knew I needed a new prop strut. Hauled it out to do that and some other things. The shop foreman wasn't there the day they replaced the prop shaft. He came back the next day, took one look and said "That prop shaft isn't straight!" And indeed it wasn't.

Didn't matter, though. they had no trouble repositioning it -- because they'd used the wrong bedding compound. It moved quite easily.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote