Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2011, 06:02   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Hauling Out and Getting Busy

Well,

I finally got up in the yard for some paint. I am trying to limit the time on the hard to one week. For those of you familiar with Port Townsend I have the BUMS (Bottoms Up Marine Service) doing the work. They did the bottom 2 years ago and she came out of the water with only a little beard and free of barnacles. The prop looks great too. We will paint it with zinc again this year.

In an attempt to maintain near yacht status she is getting hull paint as well. I should be able to concentrate on bright work when this is done. During the winter I had a motormount replaced and it has made a significant difference in engine vibration and noise. ( I guess it was worse than I thought.)

The marina finally came up with a permanent slip for me. It will be much better for the boat when in the slip but will require some patience to get in and out. I seem to be learning to listen to what she wants to do and work with it a little better but she still has some ideas that make things difficult in close quarters. (I always worry about that stainless steel capped battering ram way out front, just waiting to mash some poor FRP object.)

It was difficult to just motor to the yard...sure wanted to sail her. Atleast we have some decent weather atlast!!

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 13:10   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Hauling Out and Getting Busy

Decent weather at LONG last. Finally started my brightwork/cosmetics yesterday. I hate when the season is so short you spend half of it catching up on work...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 13:24   #3

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Ditto about the weather way over here on the East Coast. Crappiest spring I can remember. The snow FINALLY melted and now it's been raining for a month!
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 13:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hauling Out and Getting Busy

Zeus... tell me about it.. ripped stuff off the deck.. removed port rubbing strake on Monday... then the rain came.. yesterday flooding on the Algarve.. Portugals gone all soggy this week... last time I spent a day working on the boat same thing..
This rate I MAY just get her finished for 2012...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 05:21   #5

Boatman, If you get out there and work on her in the rain, you will create Fear and Loathing in the neighbors. I did that to clean my decks and the neighbors promptly moved to another part of the marinia. They didn't want to be near a maniac.

Todd
Old 24-05-2011, 07:11   #6

Yes! Just came from the yard and there were six guys running orbital sanders on idora's hull. Now that is gratifying, when I think of all the times I have spent 5 days grinding away on my old boat to get things done. I will be back in the water much more quickly now. Two more days to let the paint setup and off we go.

Todd

Tags
haul out