Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-09-2011, 15:18   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Hatch Sealant

You want Sikaflex 295 UV with the Sika Primer 206 G+P or the 210T depending on what your hatch is made of. This is specially formulated for bonding to plastic hatches and windows. It only comes in black.

http://www.bluemoment.com/downloads/...usersguide.pdf

http://usa.sika.com/en/solutions_pro...06sa01103.html

Old 01-11-2011, 14:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc

I've had to rebed all my hatches. I first replaced all the gaskets then cleaned out all the old bedding around the lexan lenses. I used 3m 4000UV for the sealent around all the lenses. The frames for the hatches are all aluminum.
My problems is that the 4000UV appears to be shrinking and leaving places where it either seperates from the lense or from the frame. Thank goodness I can just add more 4000UV when these voids appear. So, what am I doing wrong? Actually beginning to get frustrated because despite all my work at cleaning old sealent, installing new gaskets and the ton of 4000UV it takes to rebed each lense in the hatch I still have small leaks....
I'm about to start on the ports next. Can't seem to stop the small leaks there either... HELP!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 17:56   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
I've had to rebed all my hatches. I first replaced all the gaskets then cleaned out all the old bedding around the lexan lenses. I used 3m 4000UV for the sealent around all the lenses. The frames for the hatches are all aluminum.
My problems is that the 4000UV appears to be shrinking and leaving places where it either seperates from the lense or from the frame. Thank goodness I can just add more 4000UV when these voids appear. So, what am I doing wrong? Actually beginning to get frustrated because despite all my work at cleaning old sealent, installing new gaskets and the ton of 4000UV it takes to rebed each lense in the hatch I still have small leaks....
I'm about to start on the ports next. Can't seem to stop the small leaks there either... HELP!!!
I don't know about the 4000 uv but the key to getting the hatches done correctly is to use a product that has a lot of elasticity. The frames and the lenses expand and contract at different rates. If the product you use does not have the requisite amount of elasticity then you are going to sealant that is pulled away from the lense and the frame.

Are you talking about plexiglass hatches. If so the best products I know are made for glazing. It is very important that they have a lot of stretch. "As for sealant Dow 795 is the most widely used sealant for this type of application. Alternatives are Sika Flex 295 UV with the primer & GE SG-4000." stolen from Maine Sail. I have used the Sika Flex and the Dow 795. The Dow is cheaper and easier to use IMHO.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05   #19

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Dear Ncountry I have just done this very job on a southerly 135 rebedded all the windows and new plexiglass in the hatches I used a product that the motor industry uses for fixing car windscreens. Its Sikaflex 255 I think thats the number but if you ask at an auto repair shop they will now you also have to use a primer before you use the siks so it will stick to the plexiglass. Hope this helps Regards Pete
Old 02-11-2011, 12:08   #20
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I'm in doubt as to what exactly needs to be sealed? If between deck and aluminium, use a polysulfate like 3M 101 or Boatlife LifeCaulk. If Lexan to aluminium, use marine silicone or one of the better glazing products like described by others.

Never use silicone between deck and alimunium.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 02-11-2011, 15:20   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Real men use 5200! (Just Joking!)
I second what Nick said about silicone.
Old 02-11-2011, 15:42   #22

Boat: SB 43' Cutter

+1 on Butyl tape per MaineSails recommendation originally. It's much less messy than the calks.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 16:33   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

It depends on whether you are rebedding the aluminum frame or resealing the glazing to the frame. I rebedded my hatches in 2008 with 4000 UV. That is between the aluminum frame and the fiberglass deck. So far, no leaks. Now I need to go find some wood to knock on.... this fiberglass just won't do. I haven't seen any discoloration or adhesion failures, then again the frames are screwed down so the 4000 is only acting like a gasket.

My builder used astm 920 sealant and it wasn't worth what he paid for it (which wasn't much). That standard is designed for cars where it apparently works quite well but it doesn't seem to hold up on fiberglass. In any case, I've been rebedding all of my aluminum flanges with 4000 and am very happy with everything but the price.

Resealing the polycarbonate/acrylic is a different animal. Silicone does not adhere to metal very well without a primer. Unfortunatey the primers cost $50 acan and you only need a few drops. Once Silicone is used it's almost impossible to ever get a new seal to adhere. I have had some luck cleaning the old surface with 3m general purpose adhesive remover to get the old silicone residue off.

Good luck.

Tags
hatch, sealant

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: