Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2020, 06:29   #1

Boat: Outremer 42 Catamaran
hatch maintenance

Our hatches are 12 years old (boat's age). The sealant around the frames (exterior) is looking worn but not leaking anywhere yet. On my previous boat I would rebed the hatches on a case by case basis when they leaked. I would remove the hatch completely, clean everything and rebed with 3M 4200.
I've got a detailer here in Puerto Vallarta offering to replace the sealant with 4200 but without removing the hatches. He says he has a tool that can really get in there and remove the worn sealant. I'd welcome any comments to his proposed approach. Thank you!
svtumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 06:33   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: hatch maintenance

My hatches are from 2004 build year. They are exposed to the sun in the Med.
My motto: If it ain’t broke don’t touch it. No leaking (touch wood).
It is off season now, I think your guy is looking for some income.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 06:39   #3

For all: 4200 is the WRONG sealant to use for hatch lenses. Polyurethane (4200, 5200, etc.) in general have very poor adhesion to plastics like acrylic and polycarbonate.

Proper glazing silicone is the only right answer here (even for those people who HATE silicone!) Dow Corning 795 or GE SCS2000 are good choices. They stick well to both aluminum and plastic.

You can wait until the seal on your hatches fails and the lens falls out. Of course if that happens offshore in a storm you MIGHT decide that preventative maintenance is the better approach.

Never buy a boat who's previous owner had the motto "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." You can be sure lots of stuff is ready to break!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 07:06   #4

Also as a side note, you should be using 1200 OS cleaner to prep you lens, and lens edges, for the 795 to adhere properly ! This is from a techie at Dow Corning ! I used this with regular DC silicone, and cannot get the stuff off without damaging the lens !As to bedding compound for the hatch frames you should be using Butyl tape ! Never hardens, and moves with expansion, and contraction, and easy cleanup !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 07:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Also as a side note, you should be using 1200 OS cleaner to prep you lens, and lens edges, for the 795 to adhere properly ! This is from a techie at Dow Corning ! I used this with regular DC silicone, and cannot get the stuff off without damaging the lens !As to bedding compound for the hatch frames you should be using Butyl tape ! Never hardens, and moves with expansion, and contraction, and easy cleanup !
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 05:24   #6

Boat: Outremer 42 Catamaran

I am going to defer this project until I can get the correct materials. Thanks to all.
svtumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, maintenance