Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2011, 22:03   #46

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
Re: Has Anyone Used Copper Coat Antifouling

w1651: actually it is close but more reddish than copper
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 22:47   #47

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
If I have to have a diver on regular basis I'm not interested. I don't need this now with standard paint.
Every vessel should have a diver even if they are only a snorkler. Just part of preventive maintainance and management of your vessel. One should be very interested on what's happening underwater on the vessel.

I would highly recomend any boat owner to do a diving course, the benefits to a boatowner are many.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 03:39   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Every vessel should have a diver even if they are only a snorkler. Just part of preventive maintainance and management of your vessel. One should be very interested on what's happening underwater on the vessel.

I would highly recomend any boat owner to do a diving course, the benefits to a boatowner are many.

Misses the point that if a bottom paint needs a diver regularly, maybe there are better choices.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 05:06   #49

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Misses the point that if a bottom paint needs a diver regularly, maybe there are better choices.

In my limited time sailing I haven't heard yet of a bottom paint or antifouler that didn't need a clean every now and then.
Look at it like your house. It has to be dusted every once in a while no matter how much washing and vacuming you do. Where the dust comes from is any ones guess. Just like those pesky dust bunnies. I haven't seen one of those yet either.
Old 25-03-2011, 05:34   #50
CLOD

The last 2 years all I've had to clean is the water line of the hull. And I used fairly cheap AF paint. So using an expensive AF that needs more cleaning is still missing the point! If I'm going to pay for a more expensive AF treatment it has to require less cleaning, period!
Old 25-03-2011, 06:29   #51
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
In regions of moderate to high fouling, in-water hull cleaning is a regular, necessary part of boat maintenance. In these regions, there is no anti fouling coating that will keep a bottom clean for any extended length of time. Perhaps you keep you your boat in an area of extremely low fouling. Or perhaps you have a higher tolerance for a dirty bottom. What is an overgrown vegetable garden to one sailor is perfectly acceptable to another.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 07:28   #52

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Maybe Don just uses his boat more then most. You don't let it sit at the dock for weeks on end do you Don?
Old 25-03-2011, 08:06   #53
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Maybe Don just uses his boat more then most. You don't let it sit at the dock for weeks on end do you Don?

I sail the boat every weekend plus. I don't pay all this money to have a boat just sitting in the water.

But really whether one needs a diver etc isn't the point as I would expect this to be almost a fixed expensive for a specific person at a specific location. But if I paid the extra for this great Copper Coat thing I would be expecting to need the diver less.

The extra cost is minor really to me currently as the boat gets hauled every year. But I've heard getting the bottom painted in Calif is pretty expensive and if I lived there I'm sure I would do things different.

If all I'm going to save is the cost of the paint every couple of years it may not be worth it.

PS - I do have to scub the waterline now a couple of times/year to keep the grass off. All I'm trying to do is discussion the worth of the Copper Coat as I'm always open minded. I even would consider the sonic stuff if I could be convinced it was worth it.

Whether I need/want/should have a diver do my boat regularly really isn't the question.
Old 25-03-2011, 08:35   #54
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
But if I paid the extra for this great Copper Coat thing I would be expecting to need the diver less.
I think the supposed advantage to an anti fouling coating like Copper Coat (which isn't actually a "paint") is that it lasts for a very long time, not that it needs less cleaning than other coatings (for a given region.)
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 18:37   #55

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:

Don, the point I make about regularly swimming under the boat allow for better monitoring of any type of antifowling on a the vessel without increasing cost. You can check zincs and props at same time.

Guess if one doesn't like water one can purchase cost effective video camera that can be mounted on a pole.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 19:27   #56

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Used it on my Cape George sailboat. Worked well for about a year, then became slightly better than no bottom paint at all. The copper appears to leach out, then you have to sand epoxy to reveal new copper. As a result, it is slightly more labor intensive to maintain a copper epoxy bottom, and a whole lot more expensive.

Walk away from this system.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 17:06   #57

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Can you see the colour on this picture?

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user25706_pic5154_1269404570.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	25526  
Old 27-03-2011, 16:18   #58

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I think the supposed advantage to an anti fouling coating like Copper Coat (which isn't actually a "paint") is that it lasts for a very long time, not that it needs less cleaning than other coatings (for a given region.)
So Where do you think the savings are Time (hall outs and cleaning is the same time) and it has to be burnished after the cleaning so if copper coat lasts 10 years
the difference supposedly is the cost of copper coat against AF and the time over 10 years removing the AF and replacing it. I don't think there is much difference but your going to have to buy a 1 litre tin once a year for touch ups and cradle marks in Greece its €100.00 + per tin no saving add it up 300.00 per pull out €60.00 for a clean off and burnish € 100.00 1 litre tin without the time/ coast to apply it it needs 4 coats and you cant put it back in the same day or apply it in the wrong conditions. Do you want to see the growth on the bottom of mine and it was cleaned off in May last year. We spent 5 months cruising last year from Lefkadas to Amorgos. did not pick much up at all and now since september its like a forest. Me I'm going to buy a new anchor I have spent enough on coppercoat.
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 16:35   #59

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
New question - why does the old paint need to be stripped? Why wouldn't copper coat stick to old hard anti-foul painted bottom?
Paint needs a "tooth" to adhere to, thus the need to roughen the surface.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 16:40   #60

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Ed, if the Coppercoat doesn't work what is required to go back to tradiation bottom paint?
I thought copper was the traditional bottom coat. Didn't they sheet the bottoms of sailing vessels with copper plates?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling