Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-09-2008, 10:26   #16

I've been wondering about security at these places. Has anyone had any trouble ever leaving their boat at a marina while they were away?

Power is no problem. My ranch truck has a generator and it's a nice quiet one too, Air compressor, lift and all sorts of things I would need. It's probably what I would drive anyway.

I still have no idea what I will be getting into with my boat. Still haven't bought one yet. I'm looking into a few older ones but haven't made any decisions yet.

RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 10:44   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Never buy a boat without a survey. Leave room in your budget for a good one. Ask the surveyor if the change from salt to fresh water will adversely affect anything. I seriously doubt there will be, unless there has been some intrusion into wood products. Google Boat haulers. There are several. They take care of the prepping and routing. You may need to crane the boat off a trailer onto a caster-equipped cradle to move it into a barn, and you will definately need a hard surface for it to roll on. It would be very helpful if your barn had a hoist capable of raising the engine out.
According to the Army Corps of Engineers, there are navigable river routes to Oklahoma, with an honest to goodness " Port ", possibly a good place to crane out.

All this means you could be looking at a slightly bigger boat, with at most two state highway authorities to worry about, and much simpler high clearance routing around underpasses. Sounds like you are a Hull Tech, so go steel!

sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: