Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2018, 09:58   #1

Hard Silicone Antifoul - the Latest?

Hi Everyone,

My hull bottom has been peeled, faired, and epoxied, and now I need to decide what antifoul I should use.

Since I am in fresh water and I am also somewhat interested in performance, I was going to use Interlux VC17m, but wanted to first find out if anyone has had any success with any of the available hard silicone antifoul (or fouling release) paints.

Thanks for any information you can share.

-BC
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 21:32   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Hard Silicone Antifoul - the Latest?

How about some info on your boat. The hard silicone products routinely require 8 knot speeds as a minimum to be effective. Since they are new to the market the claims being made are based more on their marketing teams than real world results.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 05:20   #3

Re: Hard Silicone Antifoul - the Latest?

At this point, I am accepting my fate and will be applying VC17m.

I still am intrigued by a hard silicone based antifoul.

The challenges are that my yard won't touch the stuff, because it is not tried and true (plus, they don't have the equipment to apply it).

I can't apply it, because I haven't been able to locate an airless sprayer that is rated at 4500 psi (a requirement, according to SeaCoat Technology).

If I do eventually find a sprayer, my boat will need to be hauled to a remote area of the yard, and placed in its cradle, so as not to contaminate the shop or other boats. The VC17 would need to be completely removed before application.

I haven't completely given up.

-BC
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote