Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Hard Freeze Warning in Florida Areas what are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
FWIW, after almost 35 years in Florida..... most of which I lived or worked on boats. I have never heard of a boat in the water with a frozen pipe. I have personally had my boat in 17°F
The concern is mainly for the water lines. If ones boat is not plugged into shore power and you have multiple pressure water lines that have water in them they could freeze. If I were plugged into shore power or on board it would be no big deal. Wehave had camper lines freeze and burst and become a pain in the arse to repair and clean up. These lines in our boat are the same grey semi flexible water lines as were in our camper. Are you saying it is not an issue for boats??
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:21   #17

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Cracks me up! Florida colder than Washington?
I've got 50f and a sunny day forcast!
Strange weather!
I went to Death Valley once to play golf and got snowed out - no joke!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25   #18

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

It's a concern if conditions are right. Freezing temps don't mean the pipes are going to freeze. How low are the temps going to get? Is say your safe on a boat with 50 degree water underneath, with temps only barely dipping into freeze temps, and only staying that way for a short period of time.
Other factors:
How windy is it going to be?
Pipes ran next to exterior of hull, above waterline.

You situation imo, you're safe.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
... I mean what's the water temp, low 50's?
More like mid 60's to mid 70's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water_temps_Florida.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	35518  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Sure you're right for the ocean and gulf waters, but up the rivers and in the ICW waters it often gets down to the low 50's. This is still no concern for any boats in the water. We're often in the North Florida, St. Johns River, area during the colder months and there's never a risk of any freezing for boats in the water.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58   #21

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Some may laugh, but boats do sink from busted water lines, even here in Texas, ...well north Texas. Although last year it got cold enough to freeze my pond, and I went to the boat and checked the lines and found they were slushy. So I turned on a space heater, and the hot water heater, and ran the engines for a while to warm up the engine room. A few more hours and it was possible a line could have frozen.

Flex lines can expand so it takes a pretty hard freeze to rupture one, but the next spring I had to replace several connectors that had started leaking from the expand contract cycle.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Some may laugh, but boats do sink from busted water lines, even here in Texas, ...well north Texas. Although last year it got cold enough to freeze my pond, and I went to the boat and checked the lines and found they were slushy. So I turned on a space heater, and the hot water heater, and ran the engines for a while to warm up the engine room. A few more hours and it was possible a line could have frozen.

Flex lines can expand so it takes a pretty hard freeze to rupture one, but the next spring I had to replace several connectors that had started leaking from the expand contract cycle.
Exactly!! Your conditions were right for that to occur

Btw, thanks Gord, I was guessing and shooting low!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16   #23

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
The water temp is in the 60s and the air temp is due to hit freezing by 8pm and will remain so I am guessing until late morning. Some lines are below water line some above. All are close to exterior hull. I was told boats have no problem because the warmer water will help keep lines from freezing in a situation like tonights.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21   #24

Really though, if those conditions are occuring ie...25 or less for multiple days especially if windy too. (thats being conservative as well) it should either be properly winterized or freeeze protection installed, pick your poison there.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Yeah, lived here all my life and never had a boat freeze it's lines in the coldest of our winters. Even a closed up boat has an insulating factor. Not to worry.....Now, about that gobal warming stuff...
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:59   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Yeah, lived here all my life and never had a boat freeze it's lines in the coldest of our winters. Even a closed up boat has an insulating factor. Not to worry.....Now, about that gobal warming stuff...
We're having the GW stuff here in Seattle at 46º F. It seems strange to be warmer then FL. We haven't even had any snow yet. The ski resorts are crying. We're having a real mild winter, so far.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:59   #27
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
To protect your boat? Are most sailboats well enough insulated just due to the fiberglass etc that 5-8 hours of temperatures in the twenties wont hurt the plumbing? Not too worried about the rum stash but I am worried about the possibilitiy of water lines freezing and bursting. I will probably blow out the lines and leave the faucets open.. unless someone is certain its not an issue.

It's not that kind of "hard freeze." It is a warning to protect tender plants. Boats in Florida are not in danger from winter weather. Put a very small ceramic space heater in your boat if you're worried.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01   #28
cruiser

Quote:
It's a concern if conditions are right. Freezing temps don't mean the pipes are going to freeze. How low are the temps going to get? Is say your safe on a boat with 50 degree water underneath, with temps only barely dipping into freeze temps, and only staying that way for a short period of time.
Other factors:
How windy is it going to be?
Pipes ran next to exterior of hull, above waterline.

You situation imo, you're safe.

How windy? Here in central west Florida we had gusts to 50 mph very close to my marina. It was rockin' and rollin' last night!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:03   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Really though, if those conditions are occuring ie...25 or less for multiple days especially if windy too. (thats being conservative as well) it should either be properly winterized or freeeze protection installed, pick your poison there.

Check your local weather but I lived for 8 years in Jacksonville. The temp can dip at night but it won't stay there. It really IS Florida, not Michigan.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Gord, have a lot of respect for you, but that is an outdated temp chart. That is not what it's going to look like tonight, and that's not what it's going to look like tomorrow. If someone is new to northern Florida it is reasonable for them to worry about a night of unusually cold weather, and smart of them to double-check with others.

I think any time we have a boat in circumstances that are unusual it's smart to check things out.

One thing that happens here is that the water gets blown out of the bay with those 50 mph winds. We're seeing mud here we NEVER see, and many boats are aground in the slip. Last Feb this happened to me and I came home at 10PM to find that i couldn't get on my boat to go to bed! So I learned to let my boat rock and roll around the slip (as long as it doesn't hit anything). Winds come from all four points here sooner or later, and the bottom gets scrubbed out. I was able to pull the boat over far enough to get off even though it hit a wall of mud. This is not typical but you have to be prepared for it.

Tags
florida